You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kinder Surprise
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:51 pm 

I was just visiting the Kinder Surprise website, they make the Kinder Surprise eggs with the little toy inside. The site says in Canada the product is manufactured in peanut-free plants.

Has anyone had previous experience with this product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:59 pm 

I eat them, and I've never had a problem. The big giant ones for Easter I believe are also safe.

There is a small candy, different shape - not an egg - that has hazelnut, but it's imported, and is not produced or packaged with the eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the info... I've always just assumed that they were "off limits" -- because of the hazelnut ones.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 pm 

If you go to there web-site www.kindersurprise.com and click on INFO there is a statement about peanuts. It does not say anything about hazelnut - or the hazelnut candy - but since it does list what they make, it still agrees with what I was previously told by them. I don't remember how long ago I contacted them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 pm 

Wow, this is great to know! I also thought this was an off-limits product. Thanks Anne-Marie, for the kindersurprise link... I was able to read the ingredient list, and it is OKAY. So my kids can get a real surprise from the Easter Bunny this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:14 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
The big giant ones for Easter I believe are also safe.

AnnaMarie...I was just at the grocery store tonight and took a look at the Easter stuff - the large Kinder Surprise eggs have a "may contain nuts" warning. :( Oh well....I did pick up a "two-pack" for my son of the regular sized eggs - I know he's going to be thrilled! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 pm 

Hi all,

Just an FYI, I sent a letter to Kinder to get some clarification on their peanut/tree nut policy. I will let you know when I get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:20 pm 

Hi all,

I did actually send a letter to Kinder back in April, however their response was so confusing to me, I put it aside. However, I have decided to try to pursue this again. I will post the entire email communication here. I tried to keep my questions as simple as possible, sorry for the length of the email.
Here's the edited version: Basically their website states "Kinder Surprise for Canada are manufactured in peanut-free plants". I have questioned that statement, because some Kinder Surprise for Canada are manufactured in peanut-free plants, and some are imported, so I've asked them to clarify.
Will keep you posted, for sure this time.:)

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:35 AM
To: FerCan ConsumerRelations CAN
Subject: Kinder Surprise and peanut allergy

Dear Kinder/Ferrero,

As the parent of a severely peanut-allergic child, I was so very pleased to read the peanut-free statement on your website. This claim will provide our family with some great new options for providing treats. I am also in contact with other families, through websites and support groups, who are dealing with peanut allergies and who will find this peanut-free statement welcome news. I was hoping you could clarify some questions for me:

The statement on the Kinder website is regarding Kinder Surprise in Canada being peanut-free. Does this mean only Kinder Surprise which is manufactured in Canada? Are there Kinder Surpise manufactured elsewhere but sold in Canada?

I was shopping for Kinder on the weekend, and there is an easter product, it is a 4-pack of Kinder Surpise in a cardboard package which is shaped like a basket with an easter bunny (there is a picture of it on the website also). The package says "Imported by Ferrero". Should this be treated as not being manufactured in Canada, and therefore potentially containing peanut protein?

The website statement is terrific, however it does not mention tree-nuts (eg hazelnut, almond). Does this mean there is a possibility Kinder Surprise could be in contact with tree-nuts?

The website statement speaks about Kinder Surprise and Kinder Maxi Surprise. A colleague of miine stated she was shopping for Kinder Maxi Surprise, and it had a "may contain" warning on the label. It is possible she was mistaken, however could you confirm if there are some Kinder Maxi Surprise which may have this warning?

Any information you can provide regarding these questions, and Kinder's policies regarding food allergies, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Catherine F

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:12 PM
Subject: RE: Kinder Surprise and peanut allergy

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the label of Kinder Maxi Surprise and the web site statement that Ferrero's Kinder Surprise is produced in a peanut free environment. It is true that Kinder Surprise is produced in a peanut free environment.

Ferrero Canada can understand your concern, since it follows that of an abundance of caution, the allergic consumer must follow the strictest statement and that a reference to nuts of necessity includes peanuts.

It is planned that in the future Ferrero will be able to remove the statement with respect to nuts from the large Kinder Egg (Kinder Maxi Suprise). It is included only because at the time of production of that particular batch Ferrero wanted to be absolutely sure there were no hazelnut traces. Certainly, there were no peanut traces because the plant that produces the Kinder Surprise is a peanut free plant as stated on the web site.

When a label states "imported by" it means the product is not made in Canada but imported from one of the plants owned by Ferrero.

Please be assured that Ferrero is very interested in your comments and is very sensitive to meeting the information needs about allergies to ingredients.

For any further clarifications, please do not hesitate to contact me at 416-590-8134.

Nancy Caputo
Consumer Relations

----- Original Message -----

To: FerCan ConsumerRelations CAN
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: Kinder Surprise and peanut allergy

Dear Ms Caputo,

I have some further quesions regarding your reply to my email questions. Although some time has passed since our initial communication, I hope you are able to further assist me.
Firstly, Thank you for your response to my questions regarding Kinder Surprise and peanut and tree-nut allergies. Unfortunately, I still find Kinder's statements regarding peanut-free manufacturing to be confusing, which is why I didn't respond sooner. However, I would truly like to be a consumer of Kinder Surprise, and so I am hoping to clarify. Could you kindly re-visit the following questions for me?

The statement on the Kinder website is regarding Kinder Surprise in Canada being peanut-free. The statement on the website is:
"Is Kinder Surprise in Canada safe for people who are peanut-allergic?
Yes, Kinder Surprise and Kinder Maxi Surprise for Canada are manufactured in peanut free plants, that only produce Kinder Surprise and Kinder Maxi Surprise, and both contain no peanut ingredients"

Please advise, what exactly does the "for Canada" part of the statement mean?

To me, the statement implies that any Kinder Surprise and Kinder Maxi Surprise sold in Canada are manufactured peanut-free. Is this true?

I'm confused, because the 4-pack easter-themed Kinder Surprise I referred to in my initial email, states "Imported by Ferrero" on the label. So, does this mean it is not manufactured in Kinder's peanut-free plant, and therefore should not be eaten by food-allergic individuals?

When I am shopping for Kinder Surprise, do I need to verify where the egg was manufactured each time I purchase? Or does it mean that any Kinder Surprise sold within Canada, would be manufactured in a peanut-free facility and therefore be peanut-free?

At this time, I am assuming that, like the 4-pack easter-themed Kinder Surprise eggs, not all Kinder Surprise eggs which are sold in Canada, are manufactured in a peanut-free facility.

Although I appreciate the fact that some Kinder products are manufactured in a peanut-free facility, and I do find this encouraging, I believe if Kinder re-examines the facts, they will come to realize the peanut-free statement is in fact misleading, and potentially harmful to a food allergic individual, and especially harmful to a child.

Most parents such as myself will read the website statement, and from that statement assume that all Kinder Surprise is "safe" because they are purchasing the product "in Canada". The parent then tells their child it is "safe", and feeds the child an "Imported by Ferrero" Kinder Surprise which is contaminated by peanut or hazelnut......the consequences could be tragic.

This is why the questions above need to be answered more clearly. And hopefully the website statement will be updated also. Perhaps, if the "Imported by Ferrero" products are not peanut-free, Kinder would consider placing a "may contain peanuts or tree nuts" caution on the labels. That way, Kinder could also more fully promote the products which are manufactured peanut-free, and gain a portion of the food-allergic market. Right now most parents of peanut-allergic children will only buy Nestle peanut-free products, and none of the parents I spoke with were even aware Kinder has a peanut-free plant.

Thanks for your time,
I look forward to your reponse.

Catherine F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:25 pm 

Here's the response I received today:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We understand your concerns and are, of
course, very sensitive to the peanut/nut allergy issues. Kinder
Surprise is produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility. I hope that
my answers will ease your concerns and will allow you and your children
to enjoy Ferrero Kinder products.

Sincerely,

Nancy Caputo
Consumer Relations

Even though the packaging on the Kinder Surprise Eggs says "imported by..." -- just ensure that you read the ingredients label and ensure that it states "imported by Ferrero Canada" and / or "for sale in Canada". According to the rep., all Kinder Surprise Eggs for sale in Canada are manufactured at one particular plant that is peanut / tree nut free. This distinction is important because they have more than one plant and sell to many countries. Not all Kinder products are peanut / nut free so just be sure to read the label every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the info, ethansmom!

Post subject: Re: Kinder Surprise
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm 

I was wondering if KinderSurprise is still safe for peanut/nut allergic?
Their website is not working for a long time so I am not sure how to get some info?
Anyone?
Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 am 
Site Admin

:scratchy I'm sending them an e-mail now!
http://www.kinder-surprise-eggs.com/contactus.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 am 

I called them at Christmas as the advent calendars had hazelnut chocolate in them. Until then I had been told that they were from a peanut/tree nut free facility. What I was told then was that the eggs, JUST the eggs are from a peanut/tree nut free facility. The bars and any other products are made where they do process tree nut products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:07 pm 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:15 pm 

I found their response to my letter regarding peanuts/tree nuts. :D

“Thank you for contacting Ferrero Canada regarding our products. In answer to your question Kinder Surprise and Kinder Surprise Maxi are manufactured in our plant in Argentina produced for Canada. Kinder Surprise and Kinder Surprise Maxi are peanut and tree nut free and also produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility. We don’t use egg in our products either.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations,”

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish