You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 pm 

I found out how to get Lisas butterflies...

http://www.canadianhomeeducation.com Click on "seasonal " on the right hand side of the page.

I stumbled across this while shopping for homeschooling resources...the company is trustworthy if you order from them online. I've just got to add these to my order! My daughters are going to LOVE this!!! SO COOL 8) !

I noticed shipping and handling was $25/shipment, I thought that getting a friend or two to order as well in a single shipment would help split up the S&H cost.

There was a discussion about cool pets for kids who are allergic to furry ones and fish etc. where the butterflies were discussed...I did not post this under fish in case those who do not have fish allergy do not read there.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:36 am 

wouldn't have guessed that you could get caterpillars online! let me know if you have any questions about raising those caterpillars. (it was a long time ago, but I think I remember pretty much.) After clicking on that old thread, I noticed that I somehow didn't finish one of my sentences....I edited it (and put the additional info. in bold). One thing to watch for: caterpillars shed their skin when they outgrow it. (That might scare little kids if they didn't know what was happening in advance.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 pm 

We got our larvae 2 weeks ago. For the past two weeks we have watched them grow to catapillars, form a crysalis and "hatch" into butterflies. We made a house for the butterflies out of a cardboard box with tule windows. The girls colored the box and had fun decorating it. Best of all, I only had to brush out their individuals vials once (clean out webbing and waste products), and the pets are gone in time to enjoy the summer with no responsibilities.

They came with an artificial diet goo which gets packed into the bottom of each vile...not sure what it was so the kids did not handle it. Next year I will inquire about the ingredients of the diet so I know if the kids can help pack the food into the vials or not. Definitely a great "pet" experience for those kids who can not have fuzzy critters, fish etc.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:24 pm 

Glad the project went so well. That butterfly /(moth?) house sounds like a great idea.