You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Girl Guide Cookies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:42 pm 

There has been some discussion about Girl Guide Cookies in other threads...just thought I'd put the info. down under shopping. The following is taken from their website at: http://www.girlguides.ca/default.asp?id=23
Quote:
Q. Are your cookies nut-free? Or vegan?
A. Girl Guide Girl Guide cookies are produced by Dare Foods Ltd. from peanut-free/tree nut-free ingredients in a peanut-free/tree nut-free bakery. This means that all ingredient suppliers are surveyed to ensure that the ingredients they provide are peanut- and tree nut-free, and further, only ingredients from these suppliers enter the baking facility.

Girl Guide chocolatey mint and classic cookies are not vegan. They contain milk ingredients. Further, Girl Guides is aware that some people have a serious allergy to milk and milk ingredients. Because of the serious nature of allergic reactions to milk, Girl Guides has followed the food industry practice of fully declaring the presence of milk-containing ingredients in the ingredient list featured on the cookie boxes. This allows consumers who are concerned with milk allergens to be aware that the chocolatey mint cookies and classic cookies do contain milk ingredients, and to take the necessary precautions.

Dare has put into place many policies and procedures. For more information about ingredients in Girl Guide cookies, please contact the Girl Guides Cookie Consumer Service Line at 1-800-507-7564, or e-mail: cookies@girlguides.ca

Q. Do the cookie boxes say that Girl Guide cookies are nut-free?
A. Since 2005, Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada have included the following statement on all their new cookie boxes: “Produced in a nut-free and peanut-free bakery.” All Girl Guide cookie boxes, both classic and chocolatey mint, will include this important statement from 2006 and onwards. For more information, contact the Girl Guide Cookie Consumer Service Line at 1-800-507-7564 or e-mail cookies@girlguides.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:28 pm 

By the way, when are Girl Guide cookies usually sold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:37 pm 

Nicole, their website says that they're usually available from March to June but you can also contact your provincial office for more details -- http://www.girlguides.ca/default.asp?id=38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:43 pm 

Nicole,
My daughter is getting her cookies to sell on April 19.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:17 pm 

Thanks laurensmom and ethansmom! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:13 pm 

Girl Guide cookies are available in our area (Halifax NS) today. I was so happy to see the peanut/nut free statement, I bought 5 boxes. My co-workers probably thought I was being a bit indulgent, (and I was), but I don't care. My husband, son and I had a laugh eating a "new" kind of peanut-free cookie!