* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hemp Hearts anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:48 pm 

I found these at my local health food store

http://www.storesonline.com/site/1609006/page/45029

They are really healthy, great for those of us with limited protein and or omega 3 and 6 sources. Much to my surprise they taste really good!

For hemp, it looks like the hearts are healthier than other forms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:49 pm 

I've been mulling over whether to try hemp myself. I'm a bit apprehensive as I tend to react to seeds (I've started reacting even to flaxseed now). saskmommyof2, do you just eat this yourself, or do your children eat hemp too? (if they are fine with hemp, maybe it would be fine for me too)

Manitoba Harvest is the brand I've seen in health food stores---I wrote to them to ask about x-contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:28 pm 

I just bought the hemp yesterday. My kids have not tried it yet. It says on the package that "no known allergies exist to hemp", but that is probably because it is not commonly eaten. We have no known seed allergies (we do avoid sesame) and I am pretty sure they are okay with sunflower seeds, since the oil is in soy milk and lots of other things they eat.

I hope to add them to some muffins for the girls. Hopefully all will be fine. The hemp seeds are so healthy that I think trying a new food would be worth it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lisa, I knew you would respond to my post about hemp hearts :wink: . As for the one I got it said "suitable for those unable to eat gluten, nuts, milk, meat" and they guaranteed that they were not contaminated by anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:56 am 

I hope the hemp trial goes well---it would be a very healthy food. I'll post the response from Manitoba Harvest re: x-contamination when I hear from them.

It would be great if I could have hemp----they make a hemp powder that one can mix with liquid. I'm thinking it would be a great way to get some protein when travelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:35 am 

Can you explain a bit what they look like and how you eat them? Is it sort of granola in texture?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:42 am 

They look like small shelled sunflower seeds...kind of taste like sunflower seeds, but softer. I have been eating them plain, in a bowl, with a spoon...they are really good! I am planning on adding them to muffins, but I am waiting for a good day...when my husband is home to try them on the kids. They would probably be good in breads as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am 

I just clued in - they must be the "heart" of the hemp seed. For some reason I was thinking "Hearts" was the name of the product and not so much a description of what they are. :D

Thanks!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:46 pm 

Got a reply (and Autumn Bree said I could use her name)--

We own and operate a 6,000 sf HEMP DEDICATED facility. Absolutely NOTHING touches our line but hemp. Although we do supply bulk hemp food out into the industry to be added as an ingredient to items, we ourselves do not produce any of them. We produce staple hemp foods only, Hemp Seed Nut (shelled hemp seed), Hemp Seed Oil, Hemp Seed Nut Butter and Hemp Protein Powder. All these items are 100% hemp. If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to email me directly. Have a great day!

Autumn Bree

Education & Promotions Coordinator

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods & Oils
15-2166 Notre Dame Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 0K2

Toll Free: 800-665-HEMP (4367) Ext. 8
Direct: 204-953-0232
Fax: 204-956-5984
Email: autumn@manitobaharvest.com

Web: www.manitobaharvest.com
---------------
I had picked up a little pamphlet on Manitoba Harvest --- they sell oil, hemp seed nut, hemp seed nut butter, and hemp protein powder. I've seen their products at Whole Foods and at The Big Carrot in Toronto. One of these days I'll get up the courage to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:20 pm 

I saw their "Hemp Seed Nuts" in the store and bought some. They're quite tasty - reminds me a bit of walnut. The kids sort of liked them at the start and then not so much, but I would put them on a salad and in yogurt.

I wonder if they lose their healthy properties if baked in muffins and such, like flax seed does....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:08 pm 

Karen, so both your kids tried them already and were fine with them, allergy wise?

I also thought they would be okay added to granola bars, or homemade snack mix. Our typical snack mix is cheerios, life, rice krispies, shreddies, mini enjoylifefoods choc.chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:17 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
I saw their "Hemp Seed Nuts" in the store and bought some. They're quite tasty - reminds me a bit of walnut. The kids sort of liked them at the start and then not so much, but I would put them on a salad and in yogurt.

I wonder if they lose their healthy properties if baked in muffins and such, like flax seed does....

K.

It's good to know that someone with nut allergy ate them without incident....not that I was wanting someone to serve as a guinea pig in this experiment :lol: but you know what I mean. I bet that the company representative would be keen on answering questions about whether the omega-3s break down when cooking (is that the concern with baked flaxseed? hadn't heard that before.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:42 pm 

1. Both kids tried them and were fine, although they weren't running back for seconds. :) These are hemp seeds, not nuts, so I'm not that concerned. Obviously if your allergist has told you to avoid or be cautious with seeds, that's a different story. And obviously just because my kids were okay doesn't mean that every child will be! (Although I'm happy to be a "hempseed" pioneer here... ;) )

2. I might have the wrong end of the stick about flaxseed because of what I've heard about flaxseed oil. My understanding is that the "good" properties of flaxseed oil break down with cooking and baking. I'm sure I've seen info about not baking with flaxseed oil for that reason. And I noticed that the hempseed packaging says nothing about baking with it, which I found interesting. All their suggestions are to use it "as is".

I will drop them a note and see what they say.

3. Just decided to Google flaxseed oil and got this info online from http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041700.asp:

Quote:
Don't use flax oil for cooking. Oils high in essential fatty acids are not good for cooking. In fact, heat can turn these healthy fats into harmful ones. Add flax oil to foods after cooking and just before serving.

So there's the info on flax oil. I wonder if it's the same for flaxseeds themselves, and hempseeds....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:52 pm 

Just found a bunch of recipes at http://www.manitobaharvest.com/recipes/, including muffin recipes, so obviously they don't feel it's bad to bake with hemp seed nut.

It might be a question of how high the baking temperature is. At http://www.manitobaharvest.com/nutrition/index.asp?itemID=74 they say this:

Quote:
1) Omega-6 and Omega-3 can also be bad fats. If they have been heated past 360 degrees F, hydrogenated, bleached, winterized, deodorized or refined in any way, chances are that the fatty acid has been altered from its good "cis" configuration to its bad "trans" configuration.

So perhaps as long as your oven is no higher than 360 F, you're okay....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:19 pm 

I did not know that about flaxseeds. I was baking with flaxseed quite often--and I had assumed that my diet was trans-fat free! (I stopped baking with flaxseeds recently--I was getting unexplained hives again and then when I ate ground flaxseed plain my throat got itchy.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:59 pm 

This is the reply I got from Autumn at Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods & Oils, when I asked if baking hemp seeds past 360 F would reduce their nutritional value:

Reply 1: "I would even go as far to say 350 degrees. I’ve done baking but more like the Hemp n’ Honey Cookie recipes where I baked at about 200 degrees just for a bit longer time. They are a raw food and therefore enzyme active and will remain that way until the heat reaches about 110 degrees."

So then I replied that I was a bit confused about the mention of 110 F. To which she replied...

Reply 2: "As you cook food above 110 F, you are always losing the live enzymes. At the 350 F mark you are directly affecting the fat structure. Everything remains good in between. Does that make more sense?"

----------------
Hope this helps. Sounds like from the 'good fat' perspective, we shouldn't be baking past 350 F (or maybe 360 F if we're feeling really wild and crazy).

K.