You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:10 pm 

Thanks for the info.----I'm going to start baking at lower temperatures now! I always bake at 375. I had no idea that that would affect the fats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:44 pm 

I have been quite interested in this Karen, that temperature changes fats and makes food less healthy. I had already known of "raw foods diets" but had never really looked into what exactly they were before. A LOT of foods loose health benefits and become harmful when cooked, especially at high temperatures.

http://www.rawfoods.com/faq.html

Here is some info on what "raw foods diet" is.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:41 am 

A lot of the people I work with at school and I are eating hemp hearts by the bucketful. One woman orders them in 2 lb. containers and she says she has lost her gut - so now we are all chomping away. They do really fill you up. I still have my gut, though. :oops: I think they will be a big seller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:29 pm 

I bought some of the Hemp Hearts last night to give them a try. I originally went to the health food store to look for Sunbutter. She suggested trying the Hemp Nut Butter, but they were all sold out - so I was wondering if anyone here has tried it and what they thought of it.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:00 pm 

haven't tried the hemp yet, but I'm going to try Manitoba harvest hemp protein powder next week in the allergist's office. (He wanted me to wait until the allergy shots are done.) I sure hope I can have it! It would be an easy, fast, healthy source of protein on road trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:30 pm 

I tried the hemp. I just had a very little bit. I'm going to proceed with caution, however, as my sinuses started acting up more than usual (probably for reasons unrelated to hemp but one never knows) and I did feel very slight irritation in one spot on my mouth. Not sure if it was anything or not. It was barely perceptible . .. wouldn't have noticed if I weren't looking for it.

So I decided (on my own--my allergist did not suggest this) that I'm going to follow Dr. Burk's method for peanut desensitization just in case . . . I'm going to have a little bit of hemp every day and gradually increase the dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:38 pm 

Good luck Helen!

On a related note, I actually saw hemp hearts with instructions to not bake them above 320 C. I thought that was interesting, given the "conversation" that we'd been having about them here.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 am 

Thanks for the tip---I'll avoid temperatures higher than 320 then (no use eating hemp if the oils turn into transfats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:24 pm 

Yay! I've been eating the hemp protein powder for awhile now, and I don't think I'm reacting! (there's always this shadow of doubt because today for example I had acid reflux + have been having trouble with environmental allergies.)

I'm just so glad that I've found a healthy protein source that isn't meat . . . and it is really a convenience food. (I like putting the powder in my yogurt in the morning.)

Before long, I'll want to try the hemp seed nuts too . . .

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:28 am 

Thats great news Helen!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:37 am 

I'm soo glad you started this thread! I had actually noticed hemp seed before . . . and had thought about trying it. But I don't think I would have followed through with it if it weren't for this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:27 pm 

Helen,

Have you noticed how versatile hemp is yet? You can add water to the shelled seeds and use a juicer or soymilk maker to make milk. I tried the blender...it was not blended completely, but my youngest screams when the blender is on...so maybe it just needed to be blended longer. You can buy hemp oil for salad dressing and it is loaded with omega 3 and 6. I like to sprinkle to seeds on my cereal.

From what I have read lately heating protein rich foods can increase the risk of allergic reactions. The protein becomes harder to digest, and the enzymes naturally occuring in the food which help you to digest it are destroyed. I guess that seems logical to me since the most common allergens are all cooked in one way or another (including roasting of nuts, and heat pasturization of cows milk). That's what is awesome about hemp...you can eat it uncooked and the enzymes needed to digest the proteins are still active. I would have to suggest the same of other seeds that you are looking into...find ones raw and unroasted. Also, soaking seeds for (I think) 12-24hours prior stimulates the enzymes and makes seeds (RAW seeds) enzyme rich and easier to digest. Enzymes in seeds can lay dormant (like how a seed can be in the desert for years and sprout when soaked in water from the odd rain) and be activated by water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:47 am 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
You can add water to the shelled seeds and use a juicer or soymilk maker to make milk.

So could you add these to smoothies? I make a lot of smoothies for my youngest (with rice milk, oj, strawberries, and bananas and sometimes soy yogurt) and am always looking for things to add.

I was actually munching on hemp hearts the other night... very tasty. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:25 pm 

I have been adding them to smoothies as well. I used WATER (instead of soy or rice milk) and hemp, berries, banana etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:16 pm 

Saskmommy, hadn't thought of making milk . . . I had just been adding the protein powder to yogurt and fruit. I hadn't heard that about the enzymes . . . I know they are important, but I didn't know that soaking the seeds would activate them.

But I'm afraid I can't have hemp anymore. :cry: I had a reaction this week. Actually, I had sort of suspected I was reacting for a few days. On Friday, I felt like I was reacting after lunch--but I couldn't pinpoint anything. But then I started to have some mild chesttightness . . . that could be seasonal allergies, but I had a hunch it was something I ate. I thought for sure that it was a reaction when I got some hives.

I *had* 1/2 resolved not to eat hemp for awhile . . . but I just wanted to know for sure so I stupidly ate some more that night. My throat got itchy . . . I took Benadryl, packed my bag in case I needed to go to the hospital and waited by the phone with epi in hand. But the Benadryl took care of the throat itchiness---still I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. (which was quite the feat because Benadryl knocks me out) to make sure I didn't have a delayed reaction. I think that qualifies as a bad night!

I'm also going into chocolate withdrawal. . . . I'm joking . . . sort of. I tried pure cocoa in the allergist's office this week and reacted a bit. Then I tried more at home to be sure. . . [I know I shouldn't have . . . but I hadn't had chocolate since *highschool* and it just tasted so good. I've now sworn off chocolate for ever and ever.] The hope was that I wasn't reacting to the *chocolate* but to the soya lecithin.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.