Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:41 pm 

Helen wrote:
Yay! I've been eating the hemp protein powder for awhile now...

I'm a hemp heart convert too! I found them at my health food store and they had small sample bags to take along with some literature about hemp hearts. The ones sold at my health food store come from Rocky Mountain Grain Products in Lethbridge Alberta - I think this is the same brand in the link that you provided saskmommy. Anyway, Helen, in this information page they state,
Quote:
Beware of Hemp Protein and Hemp Flour. These competing products are made by grinding the wastes which remain after the valuable oil has been extracted from whole hemp seeds. They are mostly composed of indigestible shells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:54 am 

The whole hemp seed experiment might actually be of interest from an allergy perspective. Before I tried it in the dr.'s office, he put some of the hemp protein in a water solution and did a skin prick test. I did get a very small hive . . . but he deemed it negative probably because it was so small and because I'm dermographic. I was suspicious though as it was the first exposure to hemp (although there is hemp oil in my favourite shampoo.)

When eating the hemp in the office, I noticed that it bothered this one tiny area of my throat. . . it wasn't like a real reaction though and my ears sometimes get itchy just from pollen allergies so I didn't think it significant (but in retrospect it might have been.)

The next day when I woke up, the testing area was a bit itchy and had hived up a bit. I thought that was odd at the time and proceeded cautiously with eating the hemp. . .

When starting out eating the hemp, I was careful to have only a small amount and then I was going to increase the dose every two weeks like they do for allergy shots. But then I abandoned the plan and started eating a lot (like four tablespoons a day). A few days before the obvious reaction I started to wonder about the hemp . . .

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:04 pm 

Just wanted to mention that when I was last at my local health food store I noticed that "Rocky Mountain Grain Products" (they manufacture the hemp hearts that I purchased), now make a product called "More than a Square Meal" - it looks like chocolate and hemp hearts topped with any one of the following: almond, cashew, pecan, cranberry, blueberry, pineapple, coconut, or strawberry. I'm waiting on a reply from the owner (who previously confimed by email that they only process hemp hearts in their facility) for confirmation that these new nut products are, in fact, made elsewhere - will keep you all posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:49 pm 

I got a response from the owner of Rocky Mountain Grain Products -- his detailed response was: No.
So they aren't manufactured in the same facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:08 pm 

Yeah!!! :D Thanks Ethansmom!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 am 

I'm using hemp powder too but also sprouted flax seed powder. Sprouting flax seed releases it's goodness that other wise our body can't absorb frob the seed.