You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:19 pm 

Chapmans peanut-free/nut-free ice cream has been discontinued at A&P and Dominion. Please protest this decision at the A&P corporate web site:

http://www.freshobsessed.com/contactUs/ ... =contactUs

Thanks. Maybe we can all make a difference. Let's hope they listen to our concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:46 pm 

Am trying to post a response....I'm having technical difficulties apparently.

Anyhow, this is the message I'm trying to send them:

Quote:
I have heard that your store is planning on discontinuing Chapmans ice cream since equality brand is going to be "peanut free." But will equality ice cream also be guaranteed to be free of tree nuts? A lot of people with peanut allergies are just as allergic to tree nuts, and would not be able to buy ice cream at your store should Chapmans be discontinued.

In any case, I am disappointed to hear about your decision. I applaud the fact that you are making ice cream on a peanut free line, but it would seem that your company is trying to eliminate the competition by gaining a monopoly on the peanut-free ice cream market (which is considerably large.) This would not be a good public relations move. When companies go peanut free, the allergic community has the perception that those companies "care" about them. This is not the message that you would be sending by taking away what is currently the only option for peanut free ice cream. I predict that people who are loyal supporters of Chapmans will go out of their way to buy their groceries at a store which sells Chapmans ice cream.

Thank you for listening to my concerns.

Sincerely,
---
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Thank Erik,

I've sent a note asking them to reconsider as well. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:50 am 

I figured out why I couldn't post a message at first---too long-winded. :)

Anyways, here's the response:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

The Chapman's Ice Cream line has been discontinued from all of our
Stores. We will be introducing our own Master Choice and Equality Ice
Cream line that will be peanut free. We are also including Sugar Free as
well as Lactose Free. The entire line will be complete and in Stores by
May.

Our products are currently Peanut Free only as most of our Customers are
allergic to Peanuts. We are working on getting these products to be Tree
Nut free as well. However at this time we can only offer Peanut Free
Products.

We did make the offer for Chapman's to keep some of their product on our
shelves, however they made the decision not to continue stocking their
product in our Store.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 am 

See also http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=880 for more contact info.

K.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:57 am 

More bad news from Dominion. I just received a reply back from them saying the Equaity Brand ice cream they are bring in has eggs in it.

I guess this family will be off somewhere else to do their shopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:03 pm 

I passed by Dominion this morning and checked out their Equality ice cream. It's ONLY peanut free, not nut free. Chapman's is both peanut and nut free... so there are no choices for peanut AND nut free ice cream at Dominion now. I can't buy anything that is only peanut free as my son is allergic to both nuts and peanuts.

I don't know what kind of corporate games Chapman's and Dominion are playing but it's really getting on my nerves. Why can't these two companies make peace and stock their shelves and products for THE CONSUMER who wants to buy them. Give us a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:38 pm 

Storm -- just wondering...even though Chapman's states "peanut and nut free" on the front of their box, they can only guarantee "peanut free" because of the tests that are currently available, right? So, it's likely that their "nut free" statement is because they don't process any ice cream in their plant with tree nuts.
Are you saying that the new Equality "peanut free" ice cream has tree nuts in it as an ingredient, or is cross-contam. with tree nuts (because of ice cream with tree nuts being processed in the same plant or on the same line)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 pm 

ethansmom,

The nuts are from cross-contamination. I can't remember the exact wording but the warning appears under the list of ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:21 pm 

Stoney Creek Dairy is the company making the dominion brand ice-cream. I checked their web-site and there are some flavours that do actually have nuts in them. There is also a peanut-butter ice-cream, so they obviously haven't updated their site in a while, and maybe they also stopped making the flavours with nuts.

I have sent an e-mail previously advising that most people with peanut-allergies also avoid all nuts. They are *considering* going nut-free, and I told them they might want to advertise if/when they do.

ethansmom, why do you say it's not possible to test for nut protein? I think the problem might be that there are so many nuts, and each would have to be tested individually?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:30 pm 

It's not possible to test for all nut proteins because the tests have not been developed yet. To my knowledge, there is only a test for almonds. See

http://certification-allergie.com/index ... &courriel=

for more info.

I had thought there was a test for hazelnuts but perhaps I was mistaken.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:34 pm 

Hey guys -

I'm going to lock this topic, because there's a close-to-duplicate thread under Peanuts. The other thread wins because of age - it was started about two weeks before this thread. I should have done this sooner - sorry!

Please go to http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=880 to continue this discussion.

Thanks!

K.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]