You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:06 pm 

Kraft (Mr. Christie) has a new cookie out called Thinsations.

I've bought the Oreo kind (thin chocolate wafer - no icing), which my youngest really likes, and the Honey Graham kind (which he doesn't). They come in boxes of six bags, which is nice for lunches.

When I called Kraft to confirm the lack of allergens (still can't help myself, even with Kraft), they confirmed that there is no dairy, eggs, peanuts or nut, along with their standard reassurance that for Kraft products, any of of Canada's 10 priority allergens will be clearly indicated in the ingredients list. (I didn't confirm other allergens.)

For a picture of the box, see http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/ProductsPromotions/S-U/Thinsations.htm.

---------------------
An interesting side note for those with dairy allergy: I had seen "chocolate" as an ingredient on another Kraft/Mr. Christie cookie (maybe one of the non-regular Oreos?) and asked about that. I was told that if there is milk in the chocolate, it will say "milk chocolate". If it just says "chocolate", there is no milk.

I'm not sure I can get my mind around giving Xavier something that says "chocolate" without calling a few more times to confirm this!! LOL.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

What is chocolate? Is it chocolate flavour? Chocolate liquer? Cocoa powder? Chocolate is a combination of ingredients-Aargh!!!
This is the sort of thing that annoys me to no end. I once saw a Presidents Choice Decadent Chocolate Chips list "an emulsifier" as an ingredient!! Turned out to be soy lecithin.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 am 

I know - my husband and I were talking about that last night - they should break it down into the basic ingredients.

I think I will call them back and tell them that this isn't acceptable from a consumer perspective - and I really wonder if it's allowed from a CFIA perspective. I assume Kraft follows all the food labelling rules, so this really suprised me.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 am 

Susan - are you sure it didn't say "soy lecithin, an emulsifier"? I've seen that before. They put "an emulsifier" as a descriptor but the way they write it makes it look like it's a separate ingredient.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nope, before it just said an emulsifier. I even complained to CFIA. I asked if it was an appropriate description.
The next time I checked a few months later they had added the soy lecithin part. It wasn't there before.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb