You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Allergic Diva
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:35 am 

I am allergic to a lot of make up and have gone about mostly bare faced for about 10 years. I hate this. I thought we could share beauty tips on this topic.

My beauty tip: The best make up I have found is Physicians Formula, which I buy in the States, but I think it may be available here too. It is made out of minerals and I seem to do okay with it. Most make up makes me so itchy and rashy that it is just not worth using.

Has anyone tried anything else that works??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 pm 

Hi, I don't have problems with eczema like you do, but I do have sensitive skin. I used to use Almay without much trouble, but recently I switched to Burt's Bees. (I wanted to try natural makeup and it was on sale and I had birthday money to spend!) I quite like it---I use their eyeshadow, tinted facial moisturizer, tinted lip balm, translucent facial powder.

I looked into physicians formula years ago, but as I recall it has soy protein in it so I can't use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 pm 

Pamela Lee
Great idea for a new topic!

When I started to react to "heaven knows what?", I stopped using all mascara, makeup base, eyeshadow, liner and lipstick. I was always one of those people that wouldn't dream of going out in public without at least a little liner, mascara and base. With the help of a great Pharmacist, I was reacting to Yellow dye. It was in my shower gel, makeup, shower gel, makeup, lipstick, and other beauty products, as well as many medications. I have found the Bare Minerals powder base works for me. No color added. But you have to exfoliate well, or your face looks "flaky." I have begun to wear eyeshadow again. Other colors do not seem to bother me, just the Yellow-family (included in many brown shadows and liners).

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:14 am 

Oh thank you!! I saw that o the shopping channel and I thought hmmm, could I wear that, but I have spent so much $$$$ on stuff I cn't use I didn't want to buy it, but I will try it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 am 

Lisa

The Burt's Bees products look really nice. But a word of caution for those with nut allergies...their lip balm contains nut oils. I picked up some while waiting in line at the checkout one day, as I was reading the ingredients I saw "nuts," and needless to say dropped it like a hot potato! LOL

Thanks,
Daisy

[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:33 am 

Here's a list of the Bare Minerals ingredients:

Foundation: Zinc Oxide and/or Titnaium Dioxide. Other ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides. Warmth All-Over Face Color: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica.

Mineral Veil: Corn Starch, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May contain: Iron Oxides.

I bought mine at Ulta here in the States. I think it's about $45 for the set. You choose by light/med/dark, etc.. I've heard some other beauty stores also carry this, so you can try before you buy. It doesn't feel heavy like some face powders, but covers pretty well. One of the ladies at a dept. store beauty counter told me I should be going for more sheer coverage, than for heavier coverage as I get older (I'm 42). I thought it would be the other way around. Always learning!

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:05 am 

Now for shampoos...does anyone have a product that does not contain tons of herbs and "natural" ingredients? I am allergic to almonds and ginger, also. So many shampoos at Whole Foods contain all the *natural* ingredients I am allergic to...they did have a "Pure and Simple" shampoo, but was told they have discontinued it. I don't mind a little fragrance, but look for sodium lauryl sulfate to be further down the list on ingredients as I seem to be reacting to anything with a sulfur. (I know this is not possible, but it's just me!) And then there's my problem with yellow dye!

Any suggestions?

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:27 pm 

I considered buying neutragena for my girls. It seemed pretty basic and it was clear.

Currently we have been using "aveeno soothing bath treatment" the unscented one only has one ingerient...oatmeal. It is finely milled. I add it to a bit of water in a cup, mix out the lumps so the solution is thick and creamy, pour it in their hair and let it sit for a few minutes. Then , rinse really well...it will be dry and flaky in their hair if it is not rinsed well...but that will shake out when dry. we use a bit of a leave in conditioner...and persto...fabulous hair. Then they soak in the tub for the skin benefits.

My logic here, is that I heard that oatmeal is used to "dry" clean the hair of hospital patients who are only able to sponge bath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:25 am 

For shampoo I use Paves Flawless No Sulfates Allowed Repairing Shine Shampoo. It has many many ingredients, too many for me to type but it has Burdock,Ginsing, comfrey, avacado oil, no synthetic scents (it smells really nice), dye-free, allergy tested. The web site is www.pavesprofessional.com I get it from Walgreens. It won the Healthy Shampoo award for 2005 (who'd of thought such a thing exists).

I saw it in O magazine and it is really good.

What about hair dye??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:25 pm 

I had never heard of Paves before---it does sound like a good product. I tend to use a variety of shampoos (I've had to make a rule *not* to buy any more shampoo until I use the products I already have :lol: ). My favourite is Nature's Gate rainwater herbal hemp shampoo. but it does have sodium laureth sulfate (2nd ingredient) + it has a lot of botanical ingredients. no colour, but it does contain unspecified "fragrance oils".

ingredients: water extract of indian hemp, sodium laureth sulfate, coamidoproprl betaine, cocamide MEA, Hemp seed oil......the list goes on. no ginger, though, and no nut oils. (although it does contain borage seed oil, whatever that is. the company does use nut oils in other products.)

Thanks for the warning about Burt's Bees. I didn't call to check it out. yes, I have a nut allergy. <sigh> i'm less cautious about cross contamination with cosmetic products--I haven't had very many contact reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:55 pm 

For shampoo, I've started using Druide Pur and Pure shampoo and LOVE what it has done to my hair.

I am extremely sensitive and most other shampoos leave my scalp tight and itchy but this stuff is a true miracle. I first got hooked on their moisturizer after a nasty bout of red, chapped hands this past winter.

For more info, check out : http://www.druide.ca