You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm 

As I mentioned under the RAST tread in Parenting, my dd's RAST and skin tests were both negative for peanuts and nuts. Next will be a food challenge to rule it out completely. However, I was replaying the events of the day she had her reaction in my head and realized that when she was having stomach cramps and vomitting, I gave her Pepto-Bismol. On a whim, I have been resesarching Pepto-Bismol and one of its ingredients is aspirin. Upon researching aspirin, I found the symptoms for aspirin allergy are very similar to what she experienced! So I mentioned it to my daughter and showed her a list of things that contain aspirin, among which there is Alka-Seltzer. She points to it and said I also gave her that. I completely forgot!

In the whole panic of the reaction, I blocked all that out and focused on the peanut butter only... I remember the E.R. dr asking me if she had taken aspirin and I said no, never mentioning the Pepto-Bismol and the Alka-Seltzer, never making a connection! The allergist also asked me the same question and again I said no!

Well, I'm rethinking this whole thing now. I left a message with the allergist's office so she can be informed of this and perhaps she will also think this is valuable info. I also read that asthmatics are more prone to have an aspirin allergy! It all fits!

All this time we were focusing on peanuts and it could be aspirin. People, don't be like me, it is better to give too much info than not enough!

It could very well be that the stomach cramps and vomitting were just indigestion... I made her sicker with the rest... :oops:

I will keep you posted.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:07 am 

Well, first of all, don't beat yourself up. You didn't do anything that the rest of us wouldn't have done... and you were just trying to make her feel better. Like a good mom. :)

Good for you to have done that extra bit of sleuthing. Looks like that is certainly a possibility, and there are lots of drug allergies out there, from what I've read about.

I hope you get a clear answer soon. It helps to hear about others' experiences - I learn a lot from others' cautionary tales.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:39 am 

I bet you're kind of hoping that it is the aspirin---it would be good to know what caused the anaphylaxis for peace of mind. I've never taken pepto bismol, but I wasn't aware that it contained aspirin. Don't think you should feel badly about this at all---this stuff is difficult to figure out. Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:04 pm 

Thank you Karen and Helen,

We just came back from holiday and there was a message from the Dr.'s secretary. She had relayed my message to the Dr. and the Dr. thought it was very possible that my daughter reacted to the Pepto-Bismol (by the way, it wasn't Alka-Seltzer I gave her, it was Eno, which is only fruit salt), so when we go in for her follow-up appt. in August, she will assess her. I don't know if there's a test for aspirin.

At least they didn't think I was out to lunch if they think it's a possibility!

My husband was explaining the situation to his dad, and before he had a chance to mention the Pepto-Bismol, my FIL said: "Did she take aspirin, by any chance?". He said that because a short while ago, their parish priest was taken to the hospital after reacting anaphylactically to aspirin! It's apparently not uncommon.

And yes Helen, I am hoping it's aspirin, it's definitely easier to manage. We would just need to get a new Medic-Alert bracelet.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:40 am 

i know i'm intollerant to asprin i get so sick to my stomach, but i don't break out into hives or anything so i know it's not a full blown allergy i avoid the stuff like the plague but i never knew that pepto had asprin ingrediants hmmmm... i guess i'll look at some new tummy meds