You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:56 pm 

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I've also heard that research indicates that there may be a link between the widespread use of antibiotics for everything and the prevalence of allergies today. (it's not a cause, but a contributing factor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:21 am 

I've been doing some research on alternative therapies. I haven't tried anything yet--other than remedies that can be purchased at the grocery store (I've been drinking ginger root tea on occasion + including more garlic in my diet + eating flaxseeds and lots of fruit and veggies) Can't say that I've noticed much of a difference, but antihistamines + nasal spray don't make that much of a difference for me either.

Anyways, the following website has information on herbal remedies, etc.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com

I did a search on medline for "nettle and allergies" (the leaves of the stinging nettle plant being one popular herb)---it seems that more studies are needed.

Here's an abstract from an article written by someone from the Department of Family Medicine at SUNY (Stonybrook).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12391710&query_hl=4

I want to read the article. Unfortunately, my university library doesn't subscribe to this journal. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:24 am 

There was an article in last Sunday's Toronto star (Ideas section-front page) on a study published in _The Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons_ which recommends that surgeons should apply yogurt to their hands after scrubbing down. (My first thought here was: that won't be so good for the milk allergic!) The concern is that surgeons have to wash their hands so often that *all* the bacteria--the good bacteria included--is eliminated so their hands become the perfect medium for antibiotic-resistant bacteria that tend to be found in hospitals but not anywhere else. Bacteria live in colonies and kill each other off so having good bacteria on one's hands helps. After reading this article I'm definitely going to keep on eating my yogurt/Kefir every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:39 pm 

I found what looks like reliable information on Kefir (a fermented milk product consumed widely in Eastern Europe and growing in popularity here) with lots of references. It's supposed to stimulate the immune system and has antibacterial properties. Some studies suggest that it inhibits the growth of tumours.

http://www.foodsciencecentral.com/fsc/bulletin-ff-free

Health Canada is doing a study on the health benefits of Kefir:

http://res2.agr.gc.ca/frdc/proj/invent_e.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:21 pm 

I've read that some vehicles for delivering homeopathic rememdies are milk based. I'm by no means an expert, so I'd recommend talking to a homeopath, but my understanding is that some of the glucose pills have milk products in them. Could that (or other additives) have been a possible cause of bad reactions?