You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergy cream quesion...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:16 pm 

other then benadyrll (since i'm allergic) is there any creams or lotions or anything that have anti-histime qualities (or soothe the itch of hives) and would be safe to put on your face?

i'm asking cause i've had like four reaction where my face gets red, itchy, and bumpy (but it goes away within a day unlike my acne so i think it's hives) i'm gonna be going to the doctor next week and i'm talking to him about this cause it's really freaking me out cause i can't figure out an x-factor for the reactions but until then i need something that i can soothe my face with other then just splashing cold water...

any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:54 pm 

I obviously don't know the extent of what you're experiencing or what all of your sensitivities are, but have you looked into using calamine lotion? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:07 am 

at this point i have no idea what is causing this either (which is why i'm glad i have a doc's appointment next week) but i'll definatly be picking up a bottle of calamine lotion i didn't know that it would help with hives (i only associate it with mesquito bites) i mean it's a quick and fairly inexpensive fix until i'm able to figure this out thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:40 pm 

This is exactly how I react to corn and corn derivatives. Since I have taken ALL corn out of my diet, my skin has totally cleared up. I have posted information about corn allergy under "Other Alergies". I can't use Benadryl either because it (among almost all other medications) contains CORN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:20 pm 

eldi that's really got me thinking now i mean even if it's not corn it could be something that i'm not noticing as belonging to the same family... i think it's time to pull out my food diary notebook again... hops over to read the corn stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

update on this, well i went for allergy testing, (skin pricks) with a new allergist cause the one i saw when i was teenager didn't help me at all, and i loved the new allergist, and he said that i just had a dust allergy (which he said wasn't severe which justified my changing allergist cause the one i saw as a teenager only wanted to give me was allergy shots) but he did tell me that i havewell as eczema as well as the dertamatographsim i already knew about so it wasn't for not! but he says i don't have any food allergies, i did skin scratches for i think thirty foods

anyway i'm still having my mystery reaction, and i've been keeping a food diary, so far i've reactd shortly after having a nebulaiser mask at the hospital having an asthma attack (so need to talk to the doctor about that) as well as i had a reaction shortly after having a pint of hinneken beer last week, so once i'm able to figure what THOSE things have in common i might be able to figure out what my allergy is!

so anyone have any ideas cause i certainly can't think of anything they might have in common haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:10 pm 

Calamine, aveeno anti-itch, or very limited use of hydrocortisone?

I'm allergic to diphenhydramine, too. Sadly, there aren't antihistamine creams made with chlorpheniramine.