You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:31 pm 

i'm still a little freaked out by my whole expereince with ammoxicillian, and the fact that my family doctor told me that the next time might be much more serious.

so here's the back story, last week (tusday) i was diagonsed with strep throat, everyone in the building i work at got it. my own doctor was sick so i went to the walk in clinic, and that was fine, the doctor i saw thought it was pretty ironic that i'm allergic to bendryll, and gave me a perscription. well after taking one dose my hands started to itch REALLY badly, but i went to bed cause i was beat from beign sick, and really me being itchy is just part of my day to day life.

the next day (wensday) i realised my hands were sensitive to heat, and there was a rash all over them, still and they were swollen (i know this cause my friend recently gave me a ring cause it didn't fit her and i was having trouble getting it off, i often play with it) so i thought well what am i doing different? all i could think of was the medcation, but then thought i was being silly. the more i thought about it the more it made sense, i hadnt been on any anti-botics since high school (i'm twenty three) and i've never had a reaction on my hands before (well not on the palm side anyway)

so thursday after realising it was not getting better and i probably wasn't being a hypocondriac i went back to the walk in clinic when i saw the walk in doctor (a different one) he didn't seem to think it was a big deal! i asked him to please give me a different perscription incase it got worse or i was going to chop my hands off, because i didn't want to come back AGAIN when i had to work all weekend. he did give me a script for a drug in a different family, grudgingly but urged me to stay with the ammoxicillin.

friday morning at work i was able to slip away and thankfully my doctor's office had re-opened! the nurse there told to stop taking the medcin and get the new percription filled asap, and made an appointment for me to see my own doctor. by the end of the work day my hand were feeling a million times better, and by saturday the rash was gone and almost no itch.

i went to see my own doctor today and after describing my symptoms, and knowing all of my history decided that i should never again take pencillin and get a new medic alert bracelt reflecting my new allergy.

to be honest i'm more freaked out now that it's confirmed because my doctor was very alarmed by the reaction that i had and is worried that if had pencillin again it could turn into anaphalxis, scary man, all of my allergies before have been pretty much an annoyance not something life threatening. i know it's easy to avoid a drug but it's still pretty scary to me

i guess i just needed to share, and maybe hear some other ppl's expeirences with drug allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:16 pm 

No experience here but I just wanted to offer my sympathy. I'm glad that your own doctor took you so seriously.

I wonder if you could get him to write a letter to the doc at the clinic to try to ensure that the next time someone has a reaction to a drug that he should take it seriously...??

Anyway, best of luck, and I hope others here post about their experiences.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:21 pm 

Sorry to hear about this--what an ordeal! Having the allergy on your medicalert does sound like a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:41 pm 

Catching up on my summer reading...
Similar reaction when I was younger (about 23 hmmmm)
Took penicillan but rash and discomfort was on my face. My boss sent me home ( I was selling Shiseido cosmetics at the time - hard to sell looking as I did :D )
Dr saw my face and back said it was classic penicillan reaction - no more penicillan.
Also told me to watch for sulpha drugs - common to be allergic to both

Few years later, in teacher's college, got an infection requiring sulpha. Told clinic dr what my doctor had told me. She laughed.
Two doses of sulpha later I am wheezing. Not really badly, but enough to be aware of it.
Went back. She gave me FREE from her stash some more powerful non-sulpha drugs and told me I should be aware penicillan and sulpha allergy are often connected :shock:

End result - use antibiotics 1 - 2 a year and never have any issues. Lots out there.
If second reaction is worse (as mine was) it wasn't horrible worse AND knowing it might happen I was prepared.

Good luck!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:30 pm 

I wish someone had warned me. When I had two kids and they were young, they were both put on penicillin at the same time -- and both reacted.

Since then, the older one has reacted to mold -- which we knew was possible. The other one had a really bad reaction to a sulpha-based antibiotic. Nobody ever warned us that was common to be allergic to both. We were told he had developed an allergy to it because he was on antibiotics all the time. (He was, but it was necessary.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 pm 

Guess I should update my auto-signature... In university I was one of those students that attracted hate filled stares of others in my residence - I contracted both bacterial and viral meningitis.
Anyway, the on campus clinic had given me sulpha and told me to wait in my room for instructions on getting to the hospital as they suspected the meningitis (great containment practices, hey?). Anyway, I don't know if it was the combination of the illness or what but almost immediately I had difficulty breathing with oral swelling. The gave me some injectable steroid. It was altogether unpleasant but the meningitis was what held my attention.

In truth, I always forget about the sulpha situation (easier to blame the allergies on my DH's family genes if I do) and don't wear medic alert. It isn't good but I know sulpha is not a first line in emergencies. Amazing, it seems when I DO tell people about Sulpha, I am greeted with "me too" comments VERY frequently...

Odd? But I have zero anxiety for myself - it is all with my DD and her food allergies