You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 pm 

So, overnight my son became so itchy and pretty much spent the night scratching his eczema prone skin.
Last night we ate something made with Bell Peppers. That's the only thing I can think of that is different.
He is allergic to tomatoes and potatoes among other things.
Could he be allergic to bell peppers??? Should we be avoiding other foods in the nightshade family too???

Well, I guess I'm not really asking if he could be allergic to them because I know that you can be allergic to anything. But, really, should we be avoiding other closely related foods??? What other foods are closely related???

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Definately getthat confirmed by an allergist. I have a friend with a papper allergy and she can't have paprika or any of the peppers. This means that many products are of limits as they simply state "spices".

Interestiingly, she can have black pepper as pepper corns are actually berries and not related to peppers. (Her allergy is to capsicum which is what gives peppers the heat but she still can't have bell peppers)

Let's hope he doesn't have a true pepper allergy.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 am 
Site Admin

I found this on a reliable drugs/botany site I use:

Capsicum Peppers Adverse Reactions

Topical, mucosal, and GI irritations are common. Allergies to latex, bananas, kiwi, chestnut, avocado, or having “mugwort-celery-spice-syndrome” may predispose people to capsicum (pepper) allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:06 am 

Our son is allergic to eggplant, tomato and peppers, all part of the nightshade family. As your son is already allergic to tomatoes and potatoes I'd avoid the rest of the nightshade family also until you see your allergist.
Tomatoes and eggplant we found out he was allergic to from him actually putting some in his mouth to eat. We found out he was allergic to bell peppers by him munching on some lettuce I had mixed with bell pepers (I was making a salad). The 'spice' pepper allergy we discovered by constant reactions from trace (he's luckily never eaten anything with these spices). All these reactions (minor) seem to be due mainly to him being touched after people have eaten spices such as paprika, cayenne and chili peppers. These spices are in so many foods and as Susan said peppers can be under title of 'spices' in foods. Chips (so many are spicy now, jalapeno etc.) are the worst for causing reactions as people eat them with their fingers and the trace with the grease stays. He gets a red rash/ hives and eczema outbreaks anywhere the pepper trace touches his skin. We no longer eat hot wings as just cooking hot wings in our house causes our son to have reactions where his eyes water, he sneezes and coughs and his face goes red. It is like we sprayed him in the face with pepper spray.
Actual bell peppers etc. are fairly easy to avoid, but the spices not so much.

Good luck, hopefully there is another explanation rather than a new allergy!!

...so as he gets older I' need to add to my rules along with no food fights ..... no riots or protests...
or else mama gets out a gas mask for him to wear inside his bubble. I"m starting a new movement to ban pepper spray (capsicum). How about we just spray lysol into those purse snatchers faces. It might deter crime as well as clean up some food trace at the same time.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 pm 

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I hope it's not a new allergy too! But there's a pretty good chance it is. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 pm 

I am glad that I am not alone. I have an anaphylatic reaction to the slightest bit of bell pepper. It was discovered when I tasted a soup with bell pepper in it and ended up going to the hospital and used an epipen. I also am allergic to white potato, so I avoid the entire nightshade family, especially all the peppers as a precaution. I was tested for green pepper on my allergy scratch test and it scored low so the allergist did not even tell me I reacted until after the episode.
Even though bell peppers are not related to peppercorn, I am actually allergic to black pepper as well.