You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 pm 

Sadly it has mustard. :( thats how I figgered out her mustard allergies.. after egg..

Its bicks tangy dill that is mustard free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:20 pm 

I've confirmed these 2 products do NOT contain mustard :D . I contacted Schneiders 2 days ago, and they got back to me today.

Schneiders Red Hots Original Style Wieners UPC code: 620160
Schneiders Pepperettes Slims (turkey) UPC code: 62000 56790

I'm going to look into some other Schneiders products (eg. Kolbassa) and see if there might be other prepared meats without mustard.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:39 pm 

really? I was sure I called them and they told me to advoid. ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 pm 

Okay wait - I am talking about Mayo.. not hot dogs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 pm 

Hi Mladyfred, Thanks for mentioning the Bicks Tangy Dill relish - I bought some, and it's really delicious! (I typically don't like relish, but I really liked this one. My daughter LOVES it and I'm happy to have a safe relish in the house.) I did call to double check with Bicks, and they confirmed there is no mustard (sorry, I just had to double-check! we've had lots of scares in our household!)

Also, I don't know if these products will work for you, but I've found 2 Schneider pepperoni products that are mustard free. We've been making our pizzas for years with ham instead of pepperoni because of concern with mustard, but maybe we can try pepperoni again. At least I can have pepperoni in the house again if we are making pizza for our guests! Anyway, I digress... here are the mustard-free pepperoni UPC codes:

Schneiders pepperoni (3 short sticks) UPC code: 62000 24627
Schneiders pepperoni (1 long stick) UPC code: 18503

I've also asked Schneiders if they can recommend a salami and kolbassa that are mustard-free. I'll post the info if I hear of any.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:14 am 

Julie wrote:
Hi Mladyfred, Thanks for mentioning the Bicks Tangy Dill relish - I bought some, and it's really delicious! (I typically don't like relish, but I really liked this one. My daughter LOVES it and I'm happy to have a safe relish in the house.) I did call to double check with Bicks, and they confirmed there is no mustard (sorry, I just had to double-check! we've had lots of scares in our household!)

Also, I don't know if these products will work for you, but I've found 2 Schneider pepperoni products that are mustard free. We've been making our pizzas for years with ham instead of pepperoni because of concern with mustard, but maybe we can try pepperoni again. At least I can have pepperoni in the house again if we are making pizza for our guests! Anyway, I digress... here are the mustard-free pepperoni UPC codes:

Schneiders pepperoni (3 short sticks) UPC code: 62000 24627
Schneiders pepperoni (1 long stick) UPC code: 18503

I've also asked Schneiders if they can recommend a salami and kolbassa that are mustard-free. I'll post the info if I hear of any.

no worries, i also double ck - I think we all do.. :D I have also found two dairy/mustard free hot dogs, i will post later on. we hve been sick with the flu for a few weeks and we are just getting back on our feet.

Post subject: mustard and sesame
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:47 am 

My daughter is allergic to sesame. She is also allergic to mustard. Both are challenging in terms of labelling. Our allergist said to avoid the words flavor, seasoning and spices. Mustard is not one of Canada's top ten, but it is in many European countries.

She did not like dill either, and I am questioning celery as well. Is this a "seed" thing going on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:30 pm 

I don't know. I worry about that as well. I used to give DD Hummas, but the last time she had it she went red (not sure if it was from the lemons) but not in an "allergic" way, so I just pulled it. I had no idea that mustard could be in "flavor". Thanks for the heads up.

Taylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:42 pm 

I wonder about that too - our son is allergic to sesame, sunflower, mustard and poppy seeds. Whenever I see the word "seed" I tend to avoid it. I generally always avoid buying an item that includes the word spices, but if I really want the item, I will call the manufacturer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 pm 

We have had DD tested on a chines five spice, and seasme - turns out she was reacting to soy. which just sucks. so no dairy, soy, eggs, and mustard. (we avoid fish, nuts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:05 am 

So sorry to hear that Mladyfred. It's so challenging to add another allergen to an already difficult to manage list of foods to avoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'm curious - are mustard allergies being tested through a skin-prick test?
With a serum or actual mustard?

Or are you finding out through an oral challenge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:20 pm 

We did both. Mustard seed and fresh mustard test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:22 pm 

Our son was tested with a mustard serum through a skin prick test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Here's an article from the Boston Globe about mustard seed allergy. Pretty scary reaction (mother's suggestion of going for Benadryl in a peanut reaction is also worrying. Should be an auto-injector). Interesting stats out of Europe on mustard allergy becoming iincreasingly common over there.

Quote:
By John Guilfoil, Globe Correspondent | August 12, 2007

BRAINTREE -- Carol Evans knew her daughter had a peanut allergy. When Emily was 10 months old, she developed hives after touching peanut butter. What the mother of three never expected was that her youngest was also deathly allergic to mustard. Like many Americans, Evans never heard of a mustard allergy. That was until Emily almost died.

Emily Evans-Corkery, 3, is the picture of a rambunctious toddler. At the playground, steps from her apartment's door, the curly haired, light-eyed little girl runs around, climbs too high for her mother's liking, and giggles as high-pitched as they come.

"We knew about the peanut allergy, and the doctor recommended using Benadryl," Evans said. "Things were pretty good for about 30 months. Until Dec. 4, 2006." That evening, in the peanut-free Evans household, Emily put a piece of mustard-covered bread into her mouth, and her throat started to close up.

Rest of article is here http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/08/12/daughters_mustard_allergy_has_mother_on_guard/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next