You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Very Scary Dinner...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:30 pm 

I cooked for dinner tonight alfredo fried egg plant and broccoli. Our oldest is out of town at my parents house so we have been able to include things in our diet that we wouldn't normaly do. Well we gave our youngest some noodles and broccoli he has had those before but egg plant was new. I looked over his face was splotchy and swollen. His eyes where puffy and he was rubbing them. I quick removed the egg plant and gave him some infant allergy medicine. By the time the Doc called us back (we guess because he didn't ingest any eggplant) his face was almost back to normal. Doc said we were lucky he didn't eat any because it would have been much worse. Anyway little Joey is back to normal and running all over the place again. We well call allergist in the morning. :wink:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Oh boy, just what you didn't need. Eggplant is very high in histamine.

I can eat it - but can't tolerate spinach (which I used to love) or I get hives. I'm not sure whether it's allergy per se (haven't tested), or whether I'm just going into histamine overdrive because, like eggplant, spinach is very high in histamine.

For more on histamine, see this info from noted allergy dietitian, Dr. Janice Joneja Vickerstaff:
http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.co ... foodsource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:13 pm 

I can't have spinach either most of the time! It makes my throat too itchy. It is one of those foods I stay away from but then try from time to time. I haven't tried it in several years, however. Chard tastes very much like spinach . . .it is a great substitute (assuming that you miss spinach :) ).

I don't eat eggplant either. . . I used to be able to have it sometimes, but I react consistently now. I have become allergic to foods which cross react with eggplant (like potatoes) and also with latex which also can be related to an allergy to veggies in the nightshade family. So I don't expect I'll ever be able to eat eggplant again. . . and for me it is an allergy rather than a histamine sensitivity problem.