Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:51 pm 

Thanks Susan,

Yes, I have explained the no bandaid rule in May when this developed though back then she was fine with the Nexcare brand - now she is not.

And yes, every year it is the same thing - My son has the tree nut allergy and I have meeting with his classroom teacher every year about it again and again and again - as he gets older, it does get easier though I am always more concerned with the staff recognizing the symptoms of a reaction occurring quick enough since time is always of the essence - he has always reacted immediately with a swelling of the throat which he describes as "something is stuck in my throat" - they know the protocol - NO wait and see - epipen, 911 THEN find me.

The bandaid thing will be harder for them to believe or care about though my 7 year old girl is a strong, vocal soul who will let them know what should be done. At the same time, I don't want her to be upset if they do put a bandaid on accidentally. She will have a baggie with gauze, paper tape and the bandaids that may be okay for her in her backpack as well some in the office. Hopefully they'll be used.

Thanks for all your concern and suggestions,

take care,

Mel

daughter, 3: no known allergies but haven't tried the tree
nuts yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update - my 7yr old daughter is NOT allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins according to her skin test a few weeks back - we don't know where the weird body rash came from but are grateful it doesn't seem to be this. The allergist did suggest to give her only a half dose the first time she needs penicillin again and wait a few hours just to make sure.

As for the bandaids, not a lot of help in that dept. He says it will most certainly be life-long and that nothing really helps the uncomfortable rash - he says Benadryl wouldn't alleviate it - he likened it to catching poison ivy and that it would take a few weeks for it to dissipate. He feels the clear bandaids with the characters on them (Dora, High School Musical, etc) were the least offensive - the least gooey with adhesive so we have invested in some. I experimented on her shortly thereafter with them and after a number of hours she still did have a red mark but it was gone the next day, so they will be what we will use once spring arrives (which is far away here in -25 temp today!) and skinned knees appear once again.

Take care everyone,

Melanie

daughter, 3: no known allergies but haven't tried the tree
nuts yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter's grade 2 class is starting a penpal program with another school. All I can think of is ugh, what is in the envelope glue? We've never let her lick envelops because we gon't have ingredients labels fro them...you would have to tell them no way whatso ever.

You might want to make mention of this with he teacher.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb