You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sunflower seeds
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:07 am 

For those allergic to sunflower seeds, do you avoid the oil as well? With the move towards "0 Trans Fat", we're finding more foods containing sunflower oil (eg. Lays potato chips, Goldfish, etc); however, my son's allergist had indicated that the refined oil may be safe. Does anyone have any comments on this? We have been avoiding the oil as well as the seed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:10 am 

Well the oil is produced from the seed, so yeah. Same with peanut, I avoid peanut oil.

Post subject: Sunflower oil
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:46 pm 

Yes, I avoid "sunflower oil" and any product that just says "vegetable oil" unless the specific types are listed (sometimes they are specified in brackets after the words vegetable oil).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:51 am 

If you avoid any product that says vegetable oil, you must not eat anything that you don't make yourself. There is vegetable oil in everything. I read somewhere it's illegal to put only vegetable oil if there is peanut oil or sunflower oil in a product, at least in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:40 am 

Julie, I've read that some people are able to have the refined oil (but **not** cold-pressed oil) of whatever they are allergic to. The refining process breaks down the proteins so the oil theoretically shouldn't be allergenic. But some individuals who are really sensitive should also avoid the refined oil because cross-contamination can occur.

I avoid soybean oil now as well, but I used to be fine with the processed oil. But I once had peanut oil in potato chips by accident when I was a child--bad move! (I didn't go into anaphylaxic shock, but I had an immediate reaction nonetheless.) But maybe peanut oil does contain some of the protein....I don't know.

You might want to give your son sunflower oil in the doctor's office if you want to try this and have any doubts. I'm sure he/she would understand why you might be wary about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:19 pm 

Yes, I avoid all products that only say "vegetable oil" unless the specific oil is then listed in brackets (soybean, cottonseed are common).
As for sunflower oil having to be specifically labelled, if this is true, it must be more recent then my diagnosis in 1995. I say this because after my diagnosis I was continuing to have reactions to foods that supposedly did not have pinenuts, sesame, or sunflower (my allergies) in them. I kept a detailed food diary listing all ingredients in everything I ate, recorded my reactions and took it in to my allergist. He took one look at it and said "well look at all these products with vegetable oil, they may have sunflower oil". It had never occured to me and he had not said anything to me at the time of my diagnosis (he thought I should already know this, apparently).
Since I have been watching for specifically labelled products my allergic reactions have all but stopped.

The other tricky part about this is the fact that vegetable oil might be an ingredient of an ingredient--for example a product may list mayonaise as an ingredient but not say what is in the mayo. I myself found this out the hard way (by having reactions). This is why I seldom have friends/family prepare my food unless I have an opportunity to double check all labels and ingredients.

Post subject: sunflower oil allergy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:55 pm 

I am allergic to sunflower seeds and oil. I do react to the oil, but not as strongly as to the seeds.

All the previous postings about "vegetable oil" and undisclosed ingredients of mayonnaise and margarine, shortening, etc. are valid.

That said, many products have 1-800 numbers on the packages and if you are really interested in eating something it is sometimes possible to find out exactly what that "vegetable oil" is. It is often canola or soy or a mixture of the two, unless the product comes from Europe or the middle east, in which case it is almost guaranteed to be sunflower oil.

P. S. -- beware of visiting people who have pet birds in their houses if you really react strongly to sunflower.