You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pineapple Allergy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm 

Well, my son ate a piece of pineapple today and hives started to appear shortly after.
Does anyone else have this allergy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 am 

Sorry - no - but I'm sure it's totally possible. Was it fresh pineapple? No chance of any kind of cross-contamination with anything?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:46 am 

I react to some brands of fresh pineapple because of the wax coatings they put on them. It's impossible to wash a whole pineapple, so slicing it draws the coating right through into the flesh of the fruit. Anything with "ethylene" in the ingredient most likely means CORN...and I am allergic to corn. Below is a link to a site that discusses the use of wax coatings on pineapple:

If corn isn't an issue with your son, perhaps another component of another kind of wax coating might be the problem. Then again, pineapple could be what he is allergic to as well.

http://www.actahort.org/books/712/712_79.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 pm 

The pineapple came out a bag of frozen fruit. He's had all the other kinds of fruit from the bag without any problems.
No, he's not allergic to corn. In fact it's his favorite vegetable.
He is allergic to oranges and potatoes as well as fish, nuts, and eggs, and now pineapple has been added to the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm 

I know that pineapple and potato both cross react with latex (i.e. they aren't botanically related, but the proteins are similar so that some folks who are allergic to potato and/or pineapple are also allergic to latex). I would guess that pineapple and potato would be cross reactive with each other as well (this is an educated guess.)

Post subject: Pineapple allergy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:24 pm 

This is in response to kmommy who wrote about her son's pineapple reaction. I too am unable to eat pineapples as it causes severe hives, swelling and mouth itching. I'm not sure if there is a relationship between pineapples and oranges - but just like your son, I have a life-threatening allergy to both grapefruit and oranges. Perhaps there is a link between the pineapple and the oranges?
Whenever I'm eating at a restaurant, I try to stay far away from the fruit section. Hopefully things work out for your son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 pm 

I am allergic to pinapple and every other fruit out there :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:15 am 

I just got a call last night from a woman whose elderly mother is severely allergic to pineapple and peaches (and other fruit, I believe). So it definitely exists, and obviously can be quite severe.

I would get him tested at some point to confirm it, though. It would be a shame to avoid it unnecessarily.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:06 am 

My testing did not reveal tha I am allergic to pinapple but after eating it I would go into anaphalaxis. This was organic pinapple too.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:21 pm 

When I eat pineapple, I get a horrid taste in the back of my throat and my mouth gets irritated. Just like with most fruit and some vegetables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:47 am 
Site Admin

I don't think I have an allergy to pineapple, but I do react to the acidity of pinapples and most oranges.
I can have canned pineapple but not fresh. I can have orange juice from concentrate but not fresh.
I suppose the heat kills off some of the acidity? I don't really know, I just know what I can and can't have.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm 

Our son was allergic to pineapple (I say "was" because just last month his skin test was negative for both fresh and canned pineapple... more on that later). During skin testing, the weal our son had from the pineapple scratch test was very large (4++) and the allergist said it is very uncommon to be allergic to pineapple, but our son is one of those who, in fact, has/had a true allergy to pineapple (not oral allergy syndrome). We first discovered our son's pineapple allergy when he was around 2, and he recently turned 6. By the way, our son is not allergic to potato or latex (although, we steer clear of latex whenever we can since we're dealing with so many allergies already and don't want to add anything new to the list). The only easy thing about pineapple allergy is that it was easy to avoid, unlike many other food allergies which appear as ingredients in many foods. Since our son had a negative skin test to pineapple (which completely took us by surprise!), we have tried a tiny bit of fresh pineapple with him (using the very strict food challenge instructions from our son's allergist which takes hours to go through), and he was fine, but I'm not feeling in a hurry to try pineapple quite yet. It's a bit nerve racking going through a food challenge with an Epipen nearby...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses