You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:33 am 

My daughter soooo wants a hamster - but when I look around a lot of the food has peanuts, almonds etc in them. Does anyone have a child with a nut allergy and a hamster out there? And if so what food would you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm 

It depends how concerned you are. We're on our third hamster, and we've always bought peanut and nut "free" food. There are cross contamination issues though. No hamster food can be considered 100% safe. But I'm fine with "may contain traces" since it's not my kids who will actually eat that food! I always fill the food dish myself. If the kids want to feed the hamster, they give fresh food (our current hamster is crazy about broccoli!)

We have a few different brands, and they're not esoteric. They're main stream hamster food, but you really have to look at all the ingredients. I don't currently have the name of the food we buy, because we transfer the food into a sealed box. But every pet store we ever went to had what we needed (after 10 -15 minutes of searching though)

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:02 pm 

Thank you for responding. We never buy anything with the "may contain" on the label - my concern would be that if there was a trace in the food - then as the hamster cleans itself it then could distribute a trace onto its fur and therefore when my daughter picks up the hamster (ick - sorry it will never be me picking it up..lol).

She has had a horrible reaction to just putting on a pair of gloves that were not her's by mistake and that child had eaten nuts and put their hands back in their gloves. So we don't want that "trace" giving her a reaction - I know it is a slim possibility - but that is the rule in our house and she reads the labels now so want to stick with it for her. Any other info you might have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:19 pm 

This is definitely a comfort zone issue. What works for us may not work for others. We are fine with the "may contain" on the hamster food, but not with actual peanuts and nuts in the house.
It's all a question of probabilities at one point. On three hamsters, I've never noticed an actual piece of peanut or nut, but I can't say a thing about traces.

You can, though, feed hamsters without buying official hamster food.
They need dried fruits, fresh fruits and vegetables. Something to chew on (a piece of apple tree wood does quite nicely)

Take a look at the following list and then you can decide if you can provide it without traces.
http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUnive ... dList.html
http://www.hamsterific.com/Nutrition.cfm

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:59 pm 

Thanks again - I have trouble finding "dried" fruit here that doesn't have warning labels on it - but yes maybe we can make this happen without buying commercially produced food.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:48 pm 

Try Guinea pigs. You don't have to feed them a commerical diet. They are better with Timothy hay, and fresh fruits and veggies. Make sure they get there vitaminC which they need in there water. (you can buy drops)

Also I find they are more fun, they "talk" to you and are quite intellegent.

Hope this helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Guinea pigs are diurnal as opposed to nocturnal so they are awake when the kids are and don't run on their squeeky wheel all night!

They're bigger too and very friendly. Oh, and they have no tail. I don't know about hamsters but, don't grab a gerbil by the tail if you're trying to capture it! The tail will break off! :shock: It's a safety feature and doesn't seem to harn the gerbil but it freaks the kidies out.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:54 am 

Hi

Found one food that might help you out. But it's a lead, I hope. Is anyone in the house allergic to fur? My sister (by trial as a kid) is bunny, hamster, cat, dog and probably more. Myself rat, cat, dog and maybe bunny can't remember right now. That is why I ask nothing spoils having a pet when you can't be anywhere near it. There are lots of different types of pettable cage pets out there. Lots of reading to make the right choice.

https://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/fo ... 26641#more