You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:56 am 

We think we've figured out our son's bathtub reactions. Realizing that his reactions were always after our daughter had last used the tub (be it that day or the day before) and she uses body wash and bubble bath it occurred to us to read the ingredients.
Both have fragrance but both also contain red, one has RED # 40, the other has RED # 33 and RED # 4. Our doctor read both ingredients today and nothing jumped out at her on either bottle which may be allergenic. One bottle has some seed oils but the other doesn't and he reacts the same to both.
Our son touched the top of the lid the other night (it was open) and just from the speck on his finger and where he had a scratch on his forehead instantly a huge area went red and rashy. The skin around his eye went red in a circle also.

In the tub the residue was causing his legs / bum to be red, itch and be covered in welts and hives. Has anyone else dealt with colouring causing reactions? ]And if it isn't the colour has anyone else delt with reactions to bubble bath?

*The diaper cream he reacted to had no colour but did have witch hazel so that is still a separate issue :wink: . The pharmacist is also getting back to me today as I wasn't aware that Allantoin can sometimes be derived from egg and that is an ingredient in the diaper cream also.
At least we now know which products were causing the reactions in the tub. Fragrance also also causes him to have minor reactions as we accidentally used Downy a few weeks ago (I haven't used it in over a year but never got around to throwing it away). Every piece of clothing/bedding he touched caused a huge red itchy rash!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Red Dye
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:14 pm 

Hi

I have heard of read dye allergies before. I think that you are correct that he allergic to the dye. From the severity of it I would remove it completely from the house. I know that will suck for your daughter. I think that I found some stuff that might help.

http://www.beyondallergy.com/food-aller ... ergies.php
http://www.health-care-information.org/ ... d-dye.html
http://www.allergicchild.com/food_dye_allergies.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm 

Laladiable , thank you for the links to the red dye articles. It really feels like I'm always researching something or other with regards to our son's reactions.
The pharmacist called and the Allantoin in this diaper cream is not egg derived but plant derived . I guess that takes us back to the witch hazel ??? Good old vaseline works well anyway.
I'll have to read up more on dyes and what they are in. The more I learn the more I'm disgusted by food. Squished up insects, disgusting! This is what I've been eating all these years!! I must say that I've never been as aware of what we are eating and what is in our food as now with our little guy's allergies.
There is always a positive
:D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:40 pm 

BC2007, You'll have to see the link PaigeH has posted under "Allergies in the News" entitled "Beetle Juice". There is a link with a news video attached describing the red dye (Red #40).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses