You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Honey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:02 am 

I have not given my daughters honey yet. My reasoning being that I wonder if giving them honey would be exposing them to pollen...or bees. bzzzzz My husband has pollen allergies as well as he is allergic to bees. Does anyone know anything about whether or not there is a link between pollen allergies, bee allergies and honey? Is anyone allergic to pollen or bees able to eat honey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:41 am 

I'm allergic to bees and I eat honey. I don't see problems but don't take my word for it. Ask a doctor or an allergist to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:54 am 

I'm not sure whether I'm allergic to bees or not. I was once stung by a yellow jacket in 1985--I don't know whether it is possible to be partially stung, but i don't think I was stung all the way because it didn't hurt as much as I envisioned it would and I just kind of brushed against it. Anyways, I don' t think that being stung once is an indication of whether one might develop an allergy. (My grandmother is anaphylactic to bees so I've always been very wary of them and somehow have avoided being stung except for that one time.)

But to answer your question---I would agree with youngvader that an allergy to bee venom would be unrelated to an allergy to honey. (but I don't really know--this is just my hunch.) But I do sometimes react to honey and I think it is because of my pollen allergies. My reaction is just like it is to raw fruits and vegetables--it's an oral allergy syndrome type of reaction. Awhile ago (maybe about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago) it got to the point where I couldn't have any honey without having a reaction. I stayed away from it for a long time, but I've recently started up on honey again and I've been fine. But I don't eat a lot and I don't eat it raw--I cook it because I figure I'll have less of a chance of reacting then. (I'm guessing that heat will partially destroy the protein.) Before I was putting it in my tea a lot--now i avoid that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:02 am 

I have pollen allergies too, Lisa, and I'm still fine with honey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:43 pm 

I have severe pollen allergies and there are just some "home-made" honeys that I have problems with (just a little hitching though). It's probably because it is less pasteurized of something, but I normally do fine with honey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:55 pm 

Way back in the spring someone (I think it was Audra...or maybe krasota) posted a news article about small daily doses of local honey possibly being good for the pollen allergic. The theory is that consuming honey has the same effect as taking allergy shots. So from that article I take it that honey does have enough pollen protein in it to affect the immune system. In my case, however, I dont think that that type of allergy therapy would be a good idea!

Actually the last time that I got fairly allergic to honey it was after buying unpasteurized honey at an arts and crafts fair. But after I became sensitive to it (again--I've had trouble with honey before that time) I also reacted to the pasteurized type which does seem weird because one would think that the protein would be destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 am 

I have allergies to pollen and I have noticed when I eat the real honey(and it is so good) from the farms I get hives so i buy the store honey thats been pasturized

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:51 am 

I thought children weren't supposed to eat honey. Was just discussing this recently, but I can't remember exactly why or up to what age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:34 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
I thought children weren't supposed to eat honey. Was just discussing this recently, but I can't remember exactly why or up to what age.

Honey should not be given to children under the age of 1 due to "infant botulism".

More info here:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/diseases ... otu_e.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:57 pm 

Thanks Storm. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:22 pm 

I am pretty sure that their is always a botulism risk, at any age with unpasterized honey. Infants are just more suspectable to developing more serious symptoms because they ares small. Botulism can also be present in dented canned goods. I am quite stunned that stores sell dented cans in clearance bins. I always check mine closely, since dented cans can cause dangerous food poisoning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:02 pm 

Anyone know if you buy natural honey and use it for cooking will you still be bothered-does it kill the pollens