You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chick Pea Allergy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 pm 

I know, it sounds silly, but my sone was just diagnosed with one and I am wondering about hidden sources. He does not eat hummus (sesame allergy) and bean salad ewwwwwwwww :shock:
But I am curious if the experts out there (all you guys who have so helped in the past) can give me any info on this!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 am 
Hi Stefanie,
I know a lot of people with a severe legume intolerance so I am not sure if you should watch out for other ones, too.

If you eat indian food, a lot of their breading (in authentic restaurants) and so forth is with chickpea flour (gram, garbanzo, besan are other words used). If you don't eat much/any ethnic food I wouldn't really worry.

If you buy dried legumes, make sure you sort them for stray ones. I had to stop because I kept finding barley in mine.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:00 am 

Our son reacted to green peas at the age of 6 months (this was our first indicator of food allergies). At the time, I thought "green peas??!!!" ... impossible!! When our son had his first appointment with an allergist at 13 months of age, the allergist indicated this could be an indicator that our son was allergic to peanuts. We were instructed to avoid all legumes, except for those he was currently eating without reaction (green beans and soy). To this day, that is our son's allergists advice (our son's allergist is Dr. Waserman - one of Allergic Livings "Ask the Allergist" contributors). We plan to have our son tested for some of the other legumes we would like to introduce into our son's diet. Are you avoiding any other legumes?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:05 am 

My son is an extremely picky eater so Indian food is something he will probably NOT be interested in trying - thanks for the heads up!

He has on occasion eaten a few peas, but with no problem. The chickpea reaction at home was probably more the sesame than the chick pea, but we're not planning to eat them anymore anyway.

The allergist did not mention any other legumes to avoid, although I did suspect chick pea last year and was assured by the RN at TeleHealth Ontario that
A) chick peas and peanuts are not in the same legume family
and
B) Vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptoms of an allergic reaction.

I am always so taken aback by new unexpected allergies that I forget to ask questions. I have to go retirive my chick pea containers so I will ask if he has any other avoidances. I am worried about soy.

Thanks for the quick info.

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 am 

Hi Stefanie

You do know they were wrong about vomiting and diarrhea -- they actually ARE symptoms of an allergic reaction -- and can be a serious symptom.

My son had a really bad gag reflex. Honestly, if he didn't like something I suspect he could just will himself to vomit. :roll: The slightest taste of pb and everything he had eaten that day came up. I didn't really think it was an allergy, but I wasn't willing to risk it. When he was tested for allergies last year, the allergist decided to test for peanuts because he didn't want to ignore that symptom either -- even though he didn't think it was an allergy.

Also, my sister was allergic to soy and peanuts, but she was fine with all other legumes. And she tended towards being allergic to entire families, not just one particular food. (She had adult onset multiple food allergies, which she has since outgrown.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:16 pm 

AnnaMarie
They were wrong about BOTH those things and it concerns me that the RN's at telehealth know less than I do about food reactions.

When I come back here and read a bit I fell a whole lot better - we are not alone and other people are surviving left right and centre - many with worse than I am dealing with.

I will stop whining now and move on.

What's the step after whining - clean out all kitchen cabinets? :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 am 

Stefteach, I was an extremely picky eater as a child, but I have to say that as an adult, even though I am still quite picky (I can't stand spaghetti, or any Italian food made with a red sauce, for example), I count Indian food among my top favorites! I love spicy foods of all kinds, but Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken) is my #1 favorite dish! I'm just saying, don't discount the possibility of your son eating Indian food someday just because he is a picky eater now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:15 pm 

stefteach wrote:
The allergist did not mention any other legumes to avoid, although I did suspect chick pea last year and was assured by the RN at TeleHealth Ontario that
A) chick peas and peanuts are not in the same legume family
and
B) Vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptoms of an allergic reaction.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure chick peas and peanuts are both legumes, so in the same family. They might not be closely related. My son is PA and loves chickpeas, so we have continued to let him have them but are very careful about what he eats.

Also, the epipen site does list vomiting & diarrhea as a sign of severe allergy:

https://www.epipen.ca/EN/Pad_only_EN.pdf

Post subject: Re: Chick Pea Allergy
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm 

Avoid Barilla Plus pasta!! That has a legume flour blend in it, which includes chickpea flour!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

larki44 wrote:
Avoid Barilla Plus pasta!! That has a legume flour blend in it, which includes chickpea flour!

:roll: great...you just never know where your allergen is going to turn up! Read those labels! :damnedcomputer

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am 

Yep, which is why we're sticking to good old white pasta. All of the new high fibre blends have too many different sources of fibre (not to mention more chemicals).

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Stefteach- Did you advise the Ministry of Health that telehealth is not giving out accurate information? Someone needs a refresher course in Anaphylaxis!
(BTW, here's the e-mail address: ccu.moh@ontario.ca )
Quote:
Botanical Food Family List
Sometimes people with a food/plant allergy can be sensitive to foods/plants in the same botanical group. People with peanut allergy may be sensitive to other legumes. Birch / apple family allergies cross-reactivity is pretty common. People with latex sensitivity may also be sensitive to some foods. As always, check with your medical practitioner before making major diet changes. Dietitians are an underused resource
Chick Pea -----Legumes Family
Peanut ------Legumes Family

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... anical.htm

and...
Quote:
An anaphylactic reaction can involve any of the following symptoms, which may appear alone or in any combination, regardless of the triggering allergen:
•Skin system: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
•Respiratory system (breathing): coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain/tightness, throat tightness, hoarse voice, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
•Gastrointestinal system (stomach): nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
•Cardiovascular system (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
•Other: anxiety, feeling of “impending doom”, headache, uterine cramps, metallic taste
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pages/default.asp?catid=13&catsubid=15

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb