You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 pm 

Okay, every single day of the year my two toddlers eat oatmeal with flax seed and honey and a banana for breakfast. Every single day my son's face breaks out where his food gets on it. Just really red, no hives. Everyday he is fine after a few minutes after I clean him up.... I was hoping it was the pollen in the honey (I am trying to desensitize him with local honey daily) but I put a swab of honey on his cheek yesterday and he was fine. Today I smushed ground flax seed into his cheek, same thing - fine. I know it's not the banana. Could it be the Quaker plain one minute oats? The only known allergy that he has is peanut. I would think that dd would break out too if it were peanut cross contamination even though she is on 24 hour antihistamine...she is way more sensitive and allergic to peanut than he is? What do you guys think?

It's obviously not a life threatening crisis, lol, but I am really curious. By the way, I don't know if this matters, but he NEVER eats wheat either, lol. I mean he just won't eat noodles, anything....just fyi....tia

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, as it's the fast kind - do they use any preservatives, soy, any other ingreds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm 

It could very well be an oat allergy.
My son's tomato allergy started out that way, red patches everywhere the tomato touched... he is now much more allergic to it, it causes his eczema to flare up really bad.

Quaker Quick oats ingredients list - Plain:
100% NATURAL WHOLE GRAIN QUAKER QUALITY ROLLED OATS.

Quaker Instant oatmeal ingredients list - Plain:
WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS (WITH OAT BRAN), OAT FLOUR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, GUAR GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, NIACINAMIDE*, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, FOLIC ACID*.

*ONE OF THE B VITAMINS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

I know niacin can be an allergy.

Sounds like it's allergy testing time to know which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:24 pm 

I'm betting caramel colour. I know people who are allergic to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 pm 

Hey guys - thanks so much for the ideas...I just checked the ingredients and it says "100% whole grain rolled oats" they are the "quick 1 minute kind" but they come in the big red quaker container. Could they still have other ingreds like the caramel and niacin and not include it in the ingredients? Thanks!!!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm 

BTW, I thought it may be a wheat cross contamination or gluten or something...but tonight he actually ate food, lol and he ate flour tortillas and was fine....he did start itching a bunch at the restaurant and had some tiny bumps and eczema but I think that was contact.....sorry if that's tmi...I just was thinking maybe wheat somehow, but I guess not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:57 am 

It does sound like it could be an oat allergy. It should definitely be confirmed by an allergist. You could also do the test you did with the other foods and put some plain oatmeal on his cheek and see if the spot gets red. It sounds like it will.
You can really develop an allergy to anything, including stuff you have consumed for many years before. I took penicillin for years before my body started reacting to it... hives... when I was a teenager. My son ate tomato sauce on his pasta for years before he started reacting to it early last year. His reactions started out as redness around his mouth and has progressively gotten worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:20 am 

Thanks guys! I am going to do a plain oatmeal test either today or tomorrow...I really hope it's not oatmeal! It's the ONLY thing he eats! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:02 pm 

ashley5473 wrote:
Thanks guys! I am going to do a plain oatmeal test either today or tomorrow...I really hope it's not oatmeal! It's the ONLY thing he eats! :?

Good Luck! For your (and your son's) sake I sure hope it's not an oat allergy!

Does anyone have a wheat allergy in your house? If not, how about attempting to serve Cream Of Wheat instead? Maybe they'll like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am 

My son, age 7, has told me that he gets "a feeling" in his tummy when he eats oatmeal. This morning he said the oatmeal made him feel like throwing up. He has an appt to see the allergies in September... I'll address this with the allergist at that time.
He's been eating oatmeal since he was 1 year old. If it is a true oat allergy this will be a big adjustment for him. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 pm 

A little update: The next tub of oatmeal that we bought hasn't affected him at all...also, he ate pasta for the first time not that long ago and got red around the mouth, too. Who knows! lol - it could still be the flax because the pasta had flax in it, too....we'll see....:-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 pm 

ashley5473 wrote:
A little update: The next tub of oatmeal that we bought hasn't affected him at all...also, he ate pasta for the first time not that long ago and got red around the mouth, too. Who knows! lol - it could still be the flax because the pasta had flax in it, too....we'll see....:-/

Aren't food allergies so confusing and frustrating??? I hope you are able to get this figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Have you contacted the company to see if the oatmeal might be contaminated with one of his allergens?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Have you contacted the company to see if the oatmeal might be contaminated with one of his allergens?

My son has had "a feeling" in his tummy after eating 3 different brands of oatmeal... Quaker, Great Value (Walmart), and No Name (from the Canadian Superstore).