You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Boys Sandals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 am 

For years my son would get a circular rash on his ankles, full of little liquid filled bumbs. The rash would be very itchy and ooze...and it only happened in the summer.
I thought it was maybe the boys sandals I bought for him since he was a toddler from Target/Walmart, because that is what he wore in the summer. I never understood why it happend to his inside ankles only and not the rest of his foot.
He hasn't worn the sandals in many years, until this summer. Then the rashes happened again. It's gotta be the shoes! I looked up 'shoe allergy' on the internet and surprisingly saw many shoe allergy sites, that is how I got this website.
What is in these shoes that irritate so bad? What does Cherokee/Faded Glory make their boys sandals from? All the tag says is "Man made materials"
How can know for sure what materials are making my son break out like this...and should I be concerned that he can be exposed to this material in other things....can it cause a similar or worse reaction if he is overexposed to this? Can I possibly tear apart the shoe and remove each portion of the material and test which substance he is allergic to? Is this dangerous?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am 

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart2.htm

I came across this before and thought it may be relevant...I think it's some sort of chemical that they used. HTH good luck!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject: re: boys sandals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 pm 

No this is cloth, not plastic, that covers the area affected...(the ankles)

Even though this is an amazon link, these are the exact sandals that my son wore the last time he got the rashes... they are made by Cherokee and sold at Target...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/414E1YCQ28L.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:39 am 

Ahhh, I see...I would think that some time of material, probably chemical, used to make the shoes was causing an area of contact dermatis on his ankle. You could call Faded Glory/Cherokee and ask them, but they probably won't know or won't tell you what kinds of formeldahyde and what not that they put in their shoes....I imagine that this would only happen where it rubs his skin so much, because these types of shoes do seem to rub the ankles quite a bit. My dd has very sensitive skin, and when we use certain detergents, she gets dermatitis mostly where it rubs her: around her waist, under her arms, etc. There are so many chemicals/materials that can do this, though, it would be hard to pin down which. Good luck! If it happens with another item on another part of the body it may help you figure it out - but I hope it is just these shoes so you can avoid them!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg