You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Potato
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:01 pm 

Two unusual reactions in the past month and I highly suspect potato to be the culprit. Does anyone have any experience with potato allergy?

Post subject: Re: Potato
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 pm 

Well, this is a late reply but I haven't been on these forums in...a year, I think? :) I've been allergic to potato since I was young (as far back as I remember).

Outgrew cold urticaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:32 pm 

Thank you for replying. I am finding more and more people with potato allergy. Mine is to raw and cooked potato, including traces -- or 'natural flavours' in some items. It's not as rare as my allergist made it seem to be. Just not top-11, so it doesn't fall under labelling laws.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:36 pm 

My allergist also said it was very rare to be allergic to potato. He said most people are only allergic to raw potato but can eat cooked or highly processed things (like potato chips) without a problem. Both my old and current allergists wanted to do allergy tests to confirm it was actually potato that I was allergic to, and both skin and blood tests show that I am. Kind of annoying when I feel like doctors don't even believe me half the time, not to mention co-workers and acquaintances. Usually I have to tell them I carry an EpiPen before they take me seriously!

I'm very sensitive to potato and also react to trace amounts, cross contamination, or even just being in an enclosed space with a cooking potato (but I'm fine if it's not cooking, as long as it doesn't touch me). In fact, I've never eaten anything even close to a "normal" sized serving of potato in my life, and the idea of accidentally eating a larger quantity of potato, like taking a spoonful of potato soup, is one of my worst nightmares.

Outgrew cold urticaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 pm 

My allergist pretty much said the same thing about raw potato allergy being more common (and that even then it's limited to mild OAS). Testing for potato allergy wasn't an option unless I brought in some raw and cooked potato, which I couldn't do.

The CFIA lists potato as an OAS-related allergy most likely to cause anaphylaxis, so it's recognized there:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 2352076501

Thankfully, McCormick spices and bouillon cubes are potato-free, as are Namaste mixes, Enjoy Life cookies, and Namaste soy milk. And thank goodness for sweet potatoes!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:41 pm 

Interesting link, thanks for that. My allergist did the skin test with the potato extract that he had, and ordered a blood test, so thankfully I didn't have to bring anything in (which is good, because I would be extremely nervous buying a potato!).

I developed my potato allergy when I was quite young (before age 6, but I don't know exactly when) and didn't develop seasonal / environmental allergies until about age 24, so I don't believe it's OAS for me. I do seem to have OAS to some other foods, though, like kiwi fruit, banana, and tomato (a former allergist said tomato shares allergens with potato when I asked about it). I haven't asked to be tested for any of them to my current allergist, but I may do so when I see him again in the new year.
spacecanada wrote:
And thank goodness for sweet potatoes!

I actually avoided sweet potatoes for the first 24 years of my life because (for some reason) I don't believe I ever saw an allergist growing up and we just assumed I was allergic to sweet potato as well. It wasn't until I was 24 that I saw an allergist who explained that sweet potato wasn't actually potato, and tested me for both just to make sure.

Outgrew cold urticaria