You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Itching caused by sun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am 

Every spring, when my environmental allergies are starting up I become VERY sensitive to the sun. I have darkish skin and don't burn, but become very itchy almost instantly and sometimes have a rash with lots of tiny bumps. I find the use to antihistamines help and I use sunscreen for a few weeks, even for minor exposure (ie my left arm while driving), and then by around June I am much less sensitive. I have looked up Polymorphous Light Eruption, and it might be what it is. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar reaction to the sun?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm 

I have had the same problem as what you have stated. I am fair skin and would burn so even if I try to hide a bit from the sun and wear much sun block a rash would still happen. My ears would be the worst I thought it was the pillows ?? In the winter we have gone to Hawaii and when I got there would get this rash, it took a few times of this to find my solution. (I did use Reactine...did not help). Now I am not trying to promote this but I found for me to have a couple sessions in a sun tan booth to get my skin use to the sun would be enough. With Winter at home the skin gets no sun. Now I am not trying to get color but just trying not to end up in a rash when I get to Hawaii. I have done this three or four times now and I can only say it works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:56 pm 

Even if your skin does not burn it can still get damaged from the sun. You should still be using a full-spectrum sunscreen.

~~

I have noticed that the sun makes me itchy, and it never used to. I'm not sure if it's related to allergies (which I didn't have as a kid), the ozone depletion, or if it's caused by antihistamines which may make me more sensitive to the sun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Some medications can increase your photosensitivity.
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec18/ch214/ch214c.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 am 

Paige, Thanks for the message. Unfortunately I have the same thing happen if I try tanning booths, even for just a few minutes.

AnnaMarie, I do use sunscreen for prolonged midday exposure, but early in the season I react immedately, even going out for aminute or 2 or just through the car window.

Susan, Thanks for the link! I'm not on any medication whatsoever, but the description of PLE describes it perfectly, especially that the reaction lessens with increased exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 am 

Even before realizing I had allergies I had a sensitivity to the sun. The dermatologist told me to limit exposure in the spring. I usually try for 15 min out then 15 min inside also with a high sunscreen. He advised me if I ever decide to travel to a warmer climate during the winter to use a tanning booth as the reaction could be severe to be exposed to the sun all at once. I find I get hives and itchiness all over even parts of my body with no exposure but my arms are the worst.