You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cinnamon.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 pm 

I suffer with mild intermittent asthma for about 10 years now and have been on the inhales for it only during the weather months mostly.

I have allergy to the werids thing. Cinnamon. Some people might give that a second take with that one, since this one you don't hear about on a daily basic. My has become life threating and I carry a epi-pen with me where ever I go and live on antihistamines to control it.

It all started for me 3 years ago. I had a storge unit down the street from our home. I had love the smell of cinnamon all my life and had put some in the storage unit to take the stall smell out of the unit. After a long day of clean I complained of shortness of breathe and pains in my chest. Hubby said it was from moving to many boxes and after a long hot shower I laid down for a rest. That was the worse thing. I woke to wheezing and tightness in chest. Right to the inhale I went and laid on the couch for the next 3 1/2 half days till it was time to go back to work. I could barely pull my self off the couch and get to work. In hours I was at the doctors office. I was struggling to breathe and my oxgyen levels where already down to 82%. I was put on the nebulizer and sent how with a steroid. the next year I spent time in and out of the hospital hooked up to oxgyen every time I'm exposed to cinnamon in the air. The week after I was exposed to the cinnamon and have not so far have to use it. Have been close many times, but through the grace of God I have not.
My home, my family home and friends homes are cinnamon free. I'm a nanny so the family I work for has been kind enough to make there house a cinnamon free zone for me. I'm not only have allergy to cinnamon but any thing that is in the Laurel Family (Lauraceae) Meaning Nutmeg, Camphor, Avocado, Sassafras, European bay, California bay or Oregon myrtle. And Since Avocados are for the same family as the Banana and Latax tree. I have to be caution with that also. I have other allergy to other stuff like to tree nuts, but they are not life threating YET.

After the whole thing happen to me I find out that my nephew has the same allergy to cinnamon but not as bad.
Okay... :rofl since you have find the link to my username.

Post subject: Re: Cinnamon.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 am 

Hi Cinnamon, Welcome :D . You will find that no one will question or be surprised or disbelieve any allergy someone posts on this site. I am thankful that your first allergic encounter with cinnamon had a - scary yes- but happy ending.
Our friends daughter goes to a school which is cinnamon free due to a teacher also having life threatening reactions to the smell. I'm curious, are your reactions to the smell only or to ingesting say cinnamon in baked goods?
I bet Christmas is NOT 'the happiest time of the year' for you. :freak How do you begin to avoid the smell when every store is pumping perfume and displaying scented candles/pine cones etc. .

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish