You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 pm 

My 6 year old has had hives from zithromax, amoxicillin and full body welts from ceftin.

I'm VERY concerned here because my sister (who is a pharmacist) has told me there is 1 left (that is not related to these 3) which I cannot remember the name of right now- which he's had in the past 3 times.

He is on day 7 of the amoxicillin now and has about 50 hives. He has taken the amoxicillin before (maybe 2 times) without issue.

Anyone have any advice or knowledge or experience?

This is not my food allergic child, but def my next step is allergy testing. I need to know for sure.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Biaxin- AKA Clarithromycin
http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/dpd-bdpp/inf ... code=68628

It's hard to be sure if the reaction is to the drug, a non-medicinal ingredient (lactose, gelatin, cornstarch...) or if it is a rash that is caused by the virus.

Are you getting the medication in the form of a tablet or a suspension?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:17 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Biaxin- AKA Clarithromycin
http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/dpd-bdpp/inf ... code=68628

It's hard to be sure if the reaction is to the drug, a non-medicinal ingredient (lactose, gelatin, cornstarch...) or if it is a rash that is caused by the virus.

Are you getting the medication in the form of a tablet or a suspension?

Biaxin is not the one he can have. It's related to..the cephlasporins, I think. At least 1 of the 3 I mentioned, at least it was confirmed by my sister the Rxist.

Anyways, yep, we already covered the issue regarding another ingredient. He was taking the capsules NOT the suspension.

I def am going to have him formally tested.

The one he can have (at least for now) is Ceclor, I THINK.

He has NOT one food allergy we are aware of and eats all foods without issue. Last times he had hives was antibiotic issues-every-time.

Blah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:49 pm 

Biaxin (clarithromycin) is in the same family as Zithromax (azithromycin), they're related to erythromycin. We have patients sensitive to one of them, but not the other. Ceclor is a cephalosporin, as are cephalexin (Keflex), Ceftin, and Suprax. Again, some patients are sensitive to one and not the others. We used to think there was a potential cross-reactivity with cephalosporins and penicillins (Amoxil, Cloxacillin, Clavulin etc) but I recently read a review that says the cross-reaction hasn't borne out. Amoxil is the most likely of all the penicillins to cause a hive-like rash, but some people can still tolerate other penicillins. When someone is allergic, we try to avoid the whole family, but once multiple allergies develop we sometimes need to try individual ones.

Clindamycin (Dalacin) is an alternative to all of the above that is usually safe for people with multiple allergies, as it in a separate family.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:53 am 

THANK YOU so very much.

And I was thinking of the wrong one, I was thinking of Septra.

That def gives me some relief, I was thinking we were almost out of options. Very scary.

Thank you so much for your imput.

K xo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am 

Also, I was also thinking about Tetracycline when he become older. I remember my father only taking that one whenever he needed an antibiotic. I'm not sure exactly why, (I know he was allergic to Penicillin <so is my mother> but I do not know if he was actually allergic (hives) or sensitive (gastro or whatever else), I'd ask him but he's no longer living).

I'm thinking he was allergic to multiple, but I have zero confirmation on that.