You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am
Posts: 122
Location: USA
1) Has anyone with multiple food allergies and sensitivities find that those foods they were sensitive too turned into anaphylactic shock?

(moved 2nd question to another thread as I feel its more appropriate there. :D )
Thanks!

_________________
Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6490
Location: Ottawa
By sensativity, I imagine you mean an allergic reaction as opposed to an intolerance. Allergic reactions can vary in intensity and it is possible for someone to have an anaphylaxis reaction even if they haven't in the past. You can't expect any reaction to be like the one in the past. Epinephrine is ussually prescribed if the patient has had an anaphylaxis reaction before or if they have other factors that place them at higher risk.
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... atsubid=15

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am
Posts: 122
Location: USA
By Sensitivity, I mean that the test said you weren't allergic, but over time with accidental or purposeful exposure to the food, you became allergic and went into full blown shock. I know this can happen, because a friend of mine was told she was not allergic to cheese, so she would eat it on occasion, because she loved it so much. One day, she went into shock, and almost died, because they didn't realize at first, it was an allergic reaction. She didn't have an epi at that time. I'm just wondering, if this same thing has happened to anyone else on this board?

I do have other factors that put me at higher risk and is one of the reasons why my Doctor wanted me on one last year. My reaction to cinnamon and horse radish kept getting more severe, and he felt I was at high risk. I was just so good at avoiding, that I didn't get one yet, but will be soon. Cinnamon in cider could cause issues, and I will be exposed to it, if Aunt has Christmas this year. I have to get one, because those two food items I now react severely too with only smelling it. I still very easily avoid eating anything I'm sensitive too or allergic too. Thats because I have to make everything myself anyways. Only my sister and her 8 yr. old son can make me a meal I won't react too. :rofl Kids are smart! :mrgreen:

_________________
Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 6
Location: USA
I have, but not to an anaphylactic extent. Last year for example, I had a pretty good corn intolerance. I would eat corn only on occasion, but never every day because if I ate it too much I would get these awful stomach cramps. Then sometime last spring I had corn one day, after not having it in a long time, and I got so sick to my stomach. Corn oils and corn syrups give me the same reaction. I still have an intolerance, as I can eat things that have a little bit of corn starch in it, but it's just much worse than it used to be.

_________________
Food Allergies: Wheat, rice, corn (intolerance), milk (intolerance), raw apples (OAS), bananas, and cauliflower

Other Allergies: Mold, pollen, hay, dust, penicillin, and angora (goat) fur


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am
Posts: 122
Location: USA
marleyc93 wrote:
I have, but not to an anaphylactic extent. Last year for example, I had a pretty good corn intolerance. I would eat corn only on occasion, but never every day because if I ate it too much I would get these awful stomach cramps. Then sometime last spring I had corn one day, after not having it in a long time, and I got so sick to my stomach. Corn oils and corn syrups give me the same reaction. I still have an intolerance, as I can eat things that have a little bit of corn starch in it, but it's just much worse than it used to be.


Some how I'm not surprised. I eat dairy every so often just so my symptoms to it doesn't get worse. However, I had a friend who kept eating dairy, and that turned into anaphylactic shock. So, it probably depends on the person and how the body reacts to the allergen.

_________________
Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group