You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm 

My wife and I have been trying to identify the cause of my sons reaction everytime he eats pizza, or spaghetti. We believe we have narrowed it down to a combo Italian Spice we use. We first thought it was the tomato sauce, but eliminating the sauce did not fix it. His reaction is vomiting a couple hours after eating, usually waking him up suddenly. The spice is used when my wife makes the pizza crust, so we thought it was the common denominator. Any ideas on what to do next?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm 

His reactions have only been to the homemade pizza and spaghetti? Have you ever made either without that spice?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Does he have known allergies?

Are you using pepperoni?

It can contain soy, even milk, definitely gluten as a filler if any of those are possible issues for your son.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Also, capsicum, the stuff that makes peppers hot, can be an allergen for some people.

Are you using red peppers or is there red pepper or paprika in the spice mix?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:40 pm 

Mustard is another possibility as it is a commonly used spice in pepperoni. Health Canada will soon be including mustard as a priority allergen (it already appears in the list in Europe) . We use Schneiders pepperoni with our son, but many of Pillers products contain mustard. Just another "spice" to consider. Having said that, I don't find mustard is commonly used in Italian sauces. This is only if you are using pepperoni (or salami, or other prepared meats). I hope you can determine the cause soon! Sulphites could also be a consideration...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 am 

No pepperoni, but red pepper is an ingredient in the italian spice mix. My son has shown environmental allergies, such as grass, tree pollen. No other food reactions seen to date. I'm not even sure if I can call this an allergic reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

MSimon, with vomiting involved does sound like could be true allergy as opposed to intolerance.
Be sure to ask the doctor if you haven't yet.

Fyi, there is another form of allergy called "oral allergy syndrome" or "pollen syndrome".

It can cause food-allergy cross-reactions in those who's main allergy is to pollens. And it's not uncommon.

Here's an article that explains it: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ble-about/
and our chart: See this chart: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... -reactors/

But symptoms are usually itchiness, mouth swelling. Concerned for you about that vomiting.