You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am 

I have a potato allergy that causes me oral allergy syndrome when had in very small quantity. The allergy level was tested very high, and I believe anaphylactic if had in any significant quantity (throat feels like closing, toungue swells, etc). I've had this since I had to go to ER when I was a baby after being fed french fries.

Anyway, having said this, has anyone with the same allergy had potato vodka? I am not actively looking to try potato vodka, common sense of course says stay away (especially when there are alternatives), but I am worried of accidentally trying it in something that I am unaware contains it.

The reason I am unsure it would cause a reaction is, even though it is made with potatos, vodka is usually distilled and filtered many times through. I wonder if this would cause what I am allergic to, to also be filtered out.

Again, this is not something I want to try, at all, but it would ease my mind that I won't accidentally give myself a severe reaction and put myself in danger. Thanks for any help or input!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 pm 

I too have been very allergic to potatoes since I was very young. I have had reactions that seem very close to anaphylaxis from eating extremely small amounts of potato. I've never eaten something like a French fry and don't want to find out what might happen if I did ... I have never met anyone else who is allergic to potatoes, so it's neat to "meet" someone online!

I was not even aware vodka could be made from potatoes until a few years ago when I happened to read it somewhere online. From what I've read, potato vodka is very high quality so would be advertized as such on the package. I don't drink often, so I'm not too nervous about encountering it accidentally.

Do you have problems with things like potato starch? I've heard starch isn't supposed to be able to cause an allergic reaction because it's so processed, but I can tell within 30 seconds if I've eaten a cracker with potato starch in it. So, I would be very nervous of drinking potato vodka, but I think it would be unlikely to happen without being aware of it (especially if you ask and/or check the label).

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes