You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

I try to point out to dd that each person has abitilies and disabilities to some degree. I want her to know that while her lifestyle is different in some ways, it is not necessarily worse. I try to point out to her how her allergies have affected all of us in a positive way. Here is what I have found:
1. Cost savings- We don't eat out very often. We rarely eat convenience foods.
2. Healthier diet- Same as above. We know what is in our foods.
3. Greater appreciation for how food is produced. I have learned so much in researching safe foods.
Most importantly
4. Every day we are given the opportunity to see how much her friends love and care about her. When we meet for coffee/treats Saturday mornings, each other family will make a point of bringing something that dd can eat. They are very aware of cross contamination. Three year olds ask for a plate and someone to put their portion of treats on to the plate! I have had friends whom I knew cared about me but never was I given so many clear examples on a regular basis of how much they cared! I shared this thought with the mothers today, and I wanted to share it now with you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:58 am 

What a great thread topic! Good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:30 pm 

What a fantastic way to look at it Susan! I'll keep all of those points in mind when I'm talking to my son about his allergy.
Thanks!
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

I read a book on asthma that describes asthma not as lungs that don't work but super strong ones that don't know their own strength.
I tend to think of allergies along the same lines. You're not defecient but too efficient! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:12 pm 

You all sound so postive!
This is how I try to treat mine, and my family has been very great.
We have always tired to look on the bright side;
"When live gives youl lemons make lemonade"
Yes, we also find we safe money on going to resturants, and the food is healthier. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:27 am 

For me, the most positive aspect of my allergies is that when we were at a cottage in the middle of no-where and my son, a toddler at the time, got bit by something and had a reaction I was prepared. I was also prepared when I spoke to the doctor at the hospital, and when I went to our family doctor to get a jr. epi for my son. Since my son's reaction was not severe the doctor didn't want to prescribe it. I calmly explained that the places he was most at risk tend to be far from hospitals. The doctor agreed - and now my son wears an epi at all times.

Susan, I agree that our bodies are just to efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:22 am 

Hi,
What a great way to look at life...My hubby and I have created a nice little haven at home for us. We always say since we both have such a hard time out in public we are fortunate to be able to spend our time together at home. Any hobbies we have are in the home...keeping us close and together. Although we both have to work we know that we have made a safe place and we get to spend all our time with each other.
Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:48 am 

Financial is the most positive aspect. I don't travel, I don't eat out so I have more money for other stuff.

Post subject: Cooking skills!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 pm 

We've tackled a lot of different cuisines and we do it as a family. We've become pretty accomplished at Indian and Chinese cuisine. My 5 year old makes better Naan then the Indian restuarant we used to frequent (pre-nut allergy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:42 pm 

Susan, I agree wholeheartedly -- your perspective will certainly create your reality. There is much to be grateful for...
Quote:
We've become pretty accomplished at Indian and Chinese cuisine. My 5 year old makes better Naan then the Indian restuarant we used to frequent (pre-nut allergy).

Jeff -- please, please, please, share your recipe for Naan -- not eating out at Indian and Asian restaurants (since my son's peanut/nut allergy) has me hunting down recipes to recreate at home. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:30 am 

ethansmom wrote:
Susan, I agree wholeheartedly -- your perspective will certainly create your reality. There is much to be grateful for...
Jeff -- please, please, please, share your recipe for Naan -- not eating out at Indian and Asian restaurants (since my son's peanut/nut allergy) has me hunting down recipes to recreate at home. :D

Ethansmom....

it's actually from a cookbook called Canada's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:05 pm 

Thanks Jeff! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:26 pm 

My daughters extremely sensitive milk allergy, egg allergy and my other daughters nut allergy meant all junk had to go.

We do not eat out. We drink a lot of soy milk. We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. I also bake all bread, muffins cookies etc. and use whole grain flour. We do not eat pre-packaged junk, preservatives, garbage.

My doctor thinks they have the healthiest diet of any kids! An added bonus was that I lost all baby weight plus 20 pounds! It's hard not to drop to a healthy weight when you can't eat junk :D . I did just post a recipe for chocolates however, but treats are few and far between.

I feel that the general public is obsessed with junky food. To the point that no one even knows what is healthy anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Here are a couple of findings that might interest. At last week's CSACI conference in Winnipeg, Dr. Wade Watson mentioned a study in his talk that showed a higher level of stress (not surprising) among families coping with food allergies.

But interestingly, the families showed a much higher level of cohesiveness than non-allergic families. The family that reads labels together ... /gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:20 pm 

That is interesting. I guess if everyone in the family needs to pull together to look after one another that could be a good thing. Also, having to face death can sometimes help one to put life into perspective.