You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:50 am 

My life is majorly restricted by the allergies in many ways . . . one way I think I'm going to deal with it once I get a job and have spending money is to start an "allergy fund." i.e. I'm going to put money away for all the stuff that I *can't* do or buy and spend it on something special. (I'm already sort of doing this in a way. I spend my beer money on organic Kefir :) )

I plan to have a vacation fund for vacations I don't take and a fund for dining out (which isn't an option for me). Hmmm. . . . maybe in my hypothetical non-allergic life I'll be a heavy smoker! (all of this is in the planning . . . or, rather, dreaming stages as I don't have a job yet.)

Actually, in a lot of ways the things that I prioritize are influenced by my allergies . . . i.e. spending priorities include food (which food I buy will be a political rather than an economic decision. I'm all for organic meats and supporting local farmers, etc.) Kitchen appliances, furnishings for the home, etc. will be a spending priority . . . other things not so much.

I think the allergies have made me more "domestic". . . I spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning, but I actually enjoy cooking and don't mind cleaning either (I listen to music). But I prefer living in a smaller space so there isn't as much maintenance. (Not that I have any choice at the moment, however.)

Anyone else into "allergic budgeting"? (It might not bode well for my economic future that what I mean by "budgeting" is finding ways of spending extra money :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:58 pm 

I guess your idea wouldn't really work for me any more.

The only thing I have *given up* due to allergies is eating in restaurants.

I used to have to make almost everything from scratch, but there are more and more *ready made* products that I can buy.

The *big thing* I wanted to buy was a carrier for my epi-pen that hangs off my belt. I started putting about one or two dollars per pay (hubby's pay that is :lol: ) into a savings account. I figured by next summer I could afford it. However, big bonus came in hubby's pay this month. He got a brand new b-b-q, and tomorrow I'm ordering my new epi-pen carrier.

However, I wish you luck and monetary success in getting all those things you want. (Great idea to add in saving money for not smoking cigarettes that you never smoked anyway. :wink: )

And good luck getting a job too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:14 am 

Thanks, AnnaMarie :)

I don't think I've ever seen those epipen carriers. Are they waterproof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Any money that I saved by not doing something appears to have been balanced out by what I have done.
-Bought a house rather than rent and share the air (smoke and all)
-Central air (but I'm not complaining this summer! :D )
-Soy milk is a lot more expensive than cows milk
-Vegan mayonaise is 2x the price
-Purchased a bread machine
-Still purchasing diaper wipes to clean public spaces(hooboy-does the Health Dept know how dirty those food courts are?) :roll:

I am all for saving money and we have all made lifestyle changes due to allergies. I find that healthwise we are better off; we have a deeper appreciation for the depth of caring from our friends and family as they have opportunities to demonstrate it through their actions, but I find we am not benefiting on the financial front.

I hope you save a ton of money.

What will you eventually spend it on?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:55 am 

Helen wrote:
Thanks, AnnaMarie :)

I don't think I've ever seen those epipen carriers. Are they waterproof?

My son wears the e-belt by zoni inc. (Ordered through medic-alert). I however, don't want the full belt, I just want one that hangs off my own belt or belt-loop.

http://www.ebelt.ca/products.asp

I'm going to order the single holster here.

As for waterproof - I don't think I'd wear it swimming as it's covered in leather. However, ours have been dunked in the ocean - hunting for sea shells he fell in - and worn on a slip-n-slide - both he and his teacher forgot to take it off, he was supposed to give it to her to hold during the water-play at school. Both times water did NOT get inside. I put a chewable benedryl in the end, wrapped in the bubble packaging - and it was still dry, even though the belt itself was soaked at school in June.

His first belt he wore for three years and then he outgrew it. Recently I made arrangements to meet with someone from an allergy board to give it to her for her son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:33 pm 

We have the E-belt for our son, but we also have the Ana-tote (both the single and the twin) as well as the waterproof Protectube. These items can be purchased through Anaphylaxis Canada. You may view them here: http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... alogue.asp

My son wears his E-belt whenever he's outside the house - even when playing in the front yard in case we decide we're going to go for a ride around the block or play at a friend's house. I like the E-belt a little bit better than the single Ana-tote because it's suitable for taking part in sports (like soccer, etc) because the E-belt can withstand some force, but will still protect the Epipen. I always carry the Ana-tote (double) in my purse, and I carry one Epipen and a bottle of Benadryl with a syringe.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:49 am 

Helen,

Yeah, I spent my "savings" :lol: . Savings from not eating out, not going on vacations involving airplains, hotels, restaurants. Making food from scratch vs prepackaged. I spent it on our RV, gas and campground fees. Friends of ours eat out a LOT and spend like $50 in ONE MEAL for the family. That is INSANE! I also don't smoke, don't drink. That is also how I justified by kitchen aid mixer! :D

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:29 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Friends of ours eat out a LOT and spend like $50 in ONE MEAL for the family. That is INSANE!

Saskmommy, sorry, but you made me laugh. We have spent that on steak for just one meal, thanks to Mr. I-Only-Eat-Filet-Mignon (aka my oldest). He eats very little, so we have ended up buying a lot of filet mignon over the past few years, which my husband then SHAVES (I am not kidding) so that this kid will get some protein and iron. And yes, we figure that we deserve some filet mignon too, although often now my DH and I will eat chicken (or even fish sticks once) while the kids get steak. We try to tell ourselves that we're saving even more than that in avoiding restaurant bills, but I don't really believe it.

So our major lifestyle change, besides being a walking pharmacy whenever we leave the house and all the other things that go along with allergies, is to spend A LOT of money on food. (But then we always did like good food...)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 am 

Karen, when you think that a family of 4 can easily spend $25-$30 at McDonalds, that filet mignon doesn't sound so expensive. At least you're getting a nice, luxurious, home cooked meal. :D

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

But she doesn't "get" the meal, Epi-Man does.

But, of course, a super hero does have to keep his strength up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

I thought soy cheese was expensive until I saw how much 'real' cheese cost. It's not really much more expensive than the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:00 pm 

Good point, Susan. We still buy a bit of cheese, and it is hugely expensive. Thanks - I feel better. :)

And don't feel too bad for me that Epi-Man gets all the steak and us not so much. My DH is a fantastic cook, so to be honest, I'd mostly rather eat at home than eat out.

It's the cleaning up that I could do without. Sometimes we will just leave it for a few extra minutes and then come into the kitchen and say, "Man, those kitchen fairies are really slacking off!!" :lol:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:02 pm 

Quote:
a super hero does have to keep his strength up.

Tee hee... :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
kitchen fairies are really slacking off!!"

Maybe you need to leave a bigger tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:57 pm 

saskmommy, sounds like you've got the idea of allergic budgeting down pat :lol:

AnnaMarie, well, those epibelts look handy but expensive. Definitely less visible than a fanny pack.

As for what I'll spend all my extra money on . . . . oh...I don't know... I'd love a baby grand piano . . . but I somehow don't think that allergies are going to save me *that* much money.

Karen, that must be tough to have an allergic picky eater in the family! An idea for iron: what if you slipped some blackstrap molasses in baked goods or cooked porridge? just 1 tbsp of the stuff has a lot of iron . . . see www.nutritiondata.com

Last edited by Helen on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.