You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 pm 

We have made many changes in our lifestyles and budgeting also. I have accepted that our grocery bill will be quite large each week but I know we are eating healthy and saving money on restaurants. This past month I found another area where our lifestyle has affecting our spending - kitchen appliances.

We needed a new stove - our old one died and it is essential now. We started to look at stoves and realized that the one we needed (given the amount of cooking we do) was pricey and the fridge we needed to fit all of the food we eat in a week is very costly. We have an old fridge that we bought from the previous owner of our house and it is a very large side by side. I started to look at fridges at Sears and realized that so many were too small for us. The salesperson was surprised. I explained that we eat every meal at home and prepare all of our meals, so we needed a large fridge. Sometimes I forget how different we are from everyone else...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 pm 

We sometimes joke that one day, given how much time we spend in the kitchen, we will expand our kitchen so that it includes both the dining room and the living room. The entire main floor will be one giant kitchen! And in this dream kitchen we will have a gas stove (my husband will be in heaven) and a walk-in freezer, rather than the little one on the main floor and the big standalone one in our basement (along with the second fridge in our basement). Honestly, I have no idea how people live with just one fridge!!

We also have tons of kitchen equipment. The latest acquisitions are a meat slicer (not really worth the trouble) and a dehydrator (makes great dried apples and very scary dried banana slices - not what I was expecting :( ). We got the dehydrator because we wanted stuff for camping and I haven't see any safe dried fruit in a long time.

But I would love to know how to make banana chips. The dried ones I did are just scary brown dried-up bananas... not banana chips at all. :(

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Katec-We bought our fridge at Home Depot. They and Future Shop seem to have good prices.

Karen-When designing your open concept main floor, a half wall between the kitchen counter and the other living areas will hide the mess. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb