You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I'm So Silly
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:40 pm 

Sometimes I think it must be quite intimidating for people newly diagnosed with allergies, and new to a forum like this. I might feel too scared to post a question, fearing that people would think it was *silly* or that the answer was so *obvious* to others.

So, how about those of us that have been around for a while post some of the *silly* things we worried about, or misunderstood, when we were first dealing with allergies.

I'll start.....

I remember hearing that you don't react the first time you eat an allergen. (I'm not sure that's actually true, but many years ago that's what we were told.) Somehow, I misunderstood that.

I was reacting to sesame seeds, even in trace amounts. I thought if I bought a new brand of bread I would not react to it because I hadn't eaten that brand before. Of course, the sesame seeds it was contaminated with were not new to my system, and I kept reacting - and not knowing why. :oops:

Anybody else do anything silly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:43 pm 

Good idea, AM!

When I first started avoiding dairy (because of nursing), I thought it was okay to have margarine. (For those of you not avoiding dairy - almost all margarines contain some form of dairy. I know of 2-3 in Canada that are safe for the dairy allergic.)

Not THAT silly, I know, but obviously I was on a learning curve...

I'll try to think of some more that are a bit more amusing!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:13 pm 

I knew my son was a 'probable' for food allergies, and followed the guideline about not feeding him peanut butter too early in his life.
Fine, but chicken in a peanut sauce was ok???

(yeah, that's how we found out about his peanut allergy. DUH!!!)

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:38 am 

Cleo, that reminds me of my step-mom. I was newly diagnosed, and we were visiting for a few weeks.

She had made some fudge - I said it looked good, and she said there was no peanuts in it. I took a piece, and said it was the best fudge I'd ever tasted -- it made my tongue tingle. She smiled and said "that's my secret ingredient". We all stopped and stared at her as she said "PEANUT BUTTER". It flew out of my mouth, across the room to the wall. My husband ran for my purse.

She says "Whaa-aat? I didn't put any peanuts in it." Dad "What do you think peanutbutter is made out of?" "I don't know. I've never made peanutbutter -- I just buy it."

As I am swelling, I've got tears pouring down my face because I'm laughing so hard. My dad's teeth flew out with his laughter. My husband and kids did not laugh -- hubby got my benedryl and epi out of my purse, son (about 9 at the time) got me a glass of water.

I couldn't believe I thought that tingling in my mouth was a *good* thing.

In case you're wondering, I get along well with my step-mother. She's now very careful -- but I still double check everything. And, I ended up only needing the benedryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:14 pm 

AnnaMarie---I couldn't see the funny side at a time like that! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm 

we were at an italian restaurant, and we were about 3 big families, sitting a two different tables (a kids table, and an adult table). I was sitting at the kids table, and the adults had just ordered a bunch of appetizers for all of us. When we got it, it all looked awefully good, especially after a long day of skiing, so i decided to dig in. I love onion rings, so i was thinking "YAY ONION RINGS", so i looked at it, and i asked the other people at the table "what is that?" and they all responded "onion rings" or "mozerella sticks in the shape of onion rings", so i took one and took a little byte of it, and then my body just started itching everywhere, so i spit it out. I looked over on the adult table and called "What is that?" and someone replied "ooh, thats fried calamari". My asthma got worse, and i just felt the food coming up, so i ran outside, barely able to breathe, and having the feeling that every single meal of the day was about to come out the same way it came in. Luckily i didnt throw up, but i went home awefully dizzy and sick, and then it all came out brutally the other way (sorry). Thats the day i learned that i love onion rings, except the calamari kind! Silly me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

What-was-I-thinking allergy stories - great concept. I'll confess to this one:

When I first owned an EpiPen after anaphylaxing to shellfish, I had only glanced at the directions. (The shame haunts me still.) After a few years, I went to an allergist wondering if I'd outgrown my allergy - blissfully unaware that adults grow into, not out of, shellfish allergy. The allergist did the skin test (positive natch) and then asked: "where's your Epi" and "show me how you'd use it"?

I pulled it out confidentlly, tried to remove the black end. Fortunately, he stopped me before I hurt myself. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:01 pm 

It's all fun and games until someone gets poked by accident with an EpiPen!!!

:) K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am 

Oh Karen! That's just too funny! ... in a morbid kinda way ... haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:32 am 

Gwen, that story is hilarious!

Post subject: Another "newbie"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:14 pm 

Hi there:
Your stories remind me of our family life. My mom, bless her, does not understand about our so-called "allergies" to certain items. Her idea is that if it is baked into a food, it should be fine. My allergy, is to vegetable oil (including margarine) and chocolate, and my son's is to milk. So having a sweet tooth in our house means many a trip to the pharmacy for anti-hive medication for myself, and midnight "cramp runs" to the bathroom for my son. We have become more vigilent but who can resist double chocolate brownies?! Anyway, I'm glad I discovered this forum. :roll: