You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: wasp allergies??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:41 pm 

I am just wondering if anyone elses kids have bad allergies to wasps at all??

My dd who will be 3 in 2 weeks has now been given an epi-pen for her allergic reaction to them...

Does anyone know the likely hood of her having bad reactions to bee stings???

any ideas on some purse or waist wrap that might work to help carry this for her??

Sherry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:47 pm 

Hi Sherry,

My son is allergic to at least one biting and one stinging insect. His reactions have not been anaphylactic, but he carries an epi-pen.

His first reaction was to a bite on the ankle when he was about 2. He swelled to the hip.

His second reaction was when he got stung behind the ear. The side and back of his head and neck swelled. All swelling was on the outside, thank goodness.

Recently he saw an allergist for food and environmental testing (and cats and rabbits). Everything came back negative. {yahoo} But the allergist would not test for insects. He said that my son ( 8 ) is to young for the shots. What a shock! I didn't know there were shots for insect allergies.

Regarding carriers, my son has been wearing an e-belt since kindergarten.

www.ebelt.ca/products or it can be purchased through medic-alert canada.

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Sun May 20, 2007 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 pm 

Sherry,

As a child, I was stung by several red wasps at one time. I believe I was about 4 years old. Just localized swelling at that time. Went about 30 years without another wasp sting.

Several years ago, I was stung by a red wasp while talking to a neighbor. I started to feel "funny," so another neighbor (whose husband has bee allergy) drove me to the ER. I was given Epi and Benadryl shots.

An Allergist may not test at her age. The venom testing is a little more drawn-out than routine allergy testing. But the good news is that most people can receive venom allergy shots, just like with environmental allergens.

You could request a RAST panel if she needs other bloodwork in the near future. See an Allergist for an action plan in case she were stung by another insect. Sorry, don't know the incidence of cross-reactions.

Daisy