You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:05 pm 

I was thinking back to when my son had his first reaction after eating peanut butter and how unaware I was of the potential for food allergies to be life threatening. When I was pregnant and preparing for his birth I did a lot of reading about the benefits of breastfeeding, when to introduce solids, etc. It all spoke to ways you could "reduce the liklihood" that your child would develop allergies but I don't ever recall reading anything to prepare you for what an allergic reaction would look like (the signs to look for, i.e. hives, wheezing, etc.), the fact that an allergic reaction to food could be life threatening, and what to do if your child happens to have an allergic reaction (GO TO HOSPITAL!!). When I had my son, there was so much talk about the "SIDS Campaign" and what to do to avoid SIDS (tummy time and "back to sleep") that it got me thinking why doesn't some organization (like Anaphylaxis Canada) alongside the Ministry of Health put together some sort of "Allergy Awareness Campaign" for new parents. It could be in the form of literature that is given out by family doctors, midwives, etc., or even as you leave the hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:08 pm 

I agree 100%! I was just talking about this to my Mom today!

I took my DD to countless Dr's & walk in clinics due to severe ezcema and food allergies was never brought up until I asked if she could be sensative to the milk based formula so the Dr suggested I switch to soy. I really had no idea how serious allergies could be or what symptoms to look for either. When I told the Dr she was getting hives and I thought maybe it was the formula he only suggested switching back to milk based but never told me to watch out for other food allergies either! And when my DD had her first severe reaction we actuallly gave her benedryl which seemed to help but she was still swelling severly and after a bath she seemed ok so we put her to bed! :oops: I checked on her several times by just popping my head in and when I was about to go to bed I checked in I thought her face was more swollen. It was so bad she had no creases left in her ears! I took her to the ER then and had no idea what could have happened at the time. I really feel that we're lucky she's alive after our ignorance on the subject.

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:20 pm 

I agree as well. I think the level of knowledge about allergies in the general medical community and those advising new parents could be a lot better.

A lot of my support group members (including myself) had children with severe eczema who were not told that allergies could be a possible root cause, and one member was actually REFUSED a referral to an allergist (her GP told her they had to see a dermatologist first) for her eczema-riddled baby. And this baby had an older sibling who was allergic to peanuts and eggs. I was furious, and it wasn't even my baby!!

So... yes, there is a huge need for more awareness, both for new parents and the medical community.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:02 pm 

I called Telehealth Ontario 6 weeks ago. My son had ingested hummus and was complaining that his stomach hurt, his voice felt funny and he didn't feel good. I asked about the possibility that he could be allergic to the chick peas - same family as peanuts.
Answer - no, they are not the same family (they are.) And sore stomach and vomiting and diarrhea are not signs of an allergic reaction. (duh- they are)
This is a registered nurse who was unaware of the common reactions! THAT is scary!

My allergist, when told of the incident suggested sesame as the culprit and alas, was correct. He also suggested we steer clear of chickpeas and bring some next year to test him to those. Sigh. Ignorance may be bliss for some, but for the rest of us it is pretty frightening! :roll:

stefanie