You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergist in WInnipeg?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:07 pm 

We're moving back to Winnipeg in the next couple of months, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with allergists in Winnipeg. I hope we can have a connection to one before we leave Calgary, as ds needs further testing in the future.

Thanks in advance! : )

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:27 am 

Hello cdnmama,

I live in Winnipeg, although my allergist is not a pediatric allergist there are a few pediatric allergists in the same building, the Winnipeg Clinic.

If you need anything don't hesitate to ask :)

Shannon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Don't know if it's the same clinic Shannon refers to, but there are several excellent allergists attached to Winnipeg Children's Hosp. The number I have for the section of Allergy, Clin. Immunology is (204) 787-2455.

You could ask which of the allergists is taking patients, then request a referral from your family doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:38 am 

Thanks very much to both of you! If I learn anything that might be useful to others in this regard, I will be sure to post.

Thanks again,
Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:28 pm 

Good news! I spoke with someone at the Children's Hospital allergy clinic and we can get a referral to them from our ped. or allergist here in Calgary. The doctor just has to fax a referral letter to their office. I'm so glad! I didn't want to have to start all over with referrals and such, just to get proper healthcare lined up for Alexander. Thanks so much for that phone number, Gwen.

Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:00 pm 

Yay!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Oh good - that's a terrific clinic. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:35 pm 

Thanks again, Gwen. Do you happen to know anything about Dr. Becker or Dr. Cisneros there? When we fax the referral letter we have the choice of directing it to one of them.

Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:02 am 

This is BY FAR the best clinic in the city. I've gone to the one at Winnipeg Clinic (for myself) and it doesn't even close to this one.

Dr. Becker has been there forever - he's probably in his 60's and has seen and knows it all. He's quite a characted - wears a bit white lab coat with Dr. "Al" lergy on the back - his first name is "Al".

Dr. Cisneros is really new - he replaced Dr. Wade Watson when he went to the east coast. He's a soft spoken man, very patient, very informed. He talked with us for 30 minutes after our 14yo son had his RAST test redone about continuting strict avoidance, why he's not in favor of doing any challenges at this point, etc. He definately errs on the side of caution - which is right up our ally.

The clinic is crazy. Lots kids running around, a little play structure to distract them after they get their "scratches" and a TV/DVD/VCR for those who just want to kick back.

It's great and I'm sure anyone would be pleased with the level of care they get. They are also directly connected to a study department run by Dr. Estele Simons so if you're interested in getting involved in studies, you can do that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm 

That's great info, mharasym. Thanks for sharing! We've got our pediatrician directing a referral letter to Dr. Becker. I really don't mind which one we get, just as long as we get into the clinic!

Marla