You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:32 pm 

Not sure if any of us need medic alert bracelets, so thought I would ask your opinions.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter is allergic to treenuts and shellfish, and we have epipens for her.

My 8 yr old son is REALLY allergic to cats, and rabbits (his eyes swell shut), and also to grass, trees, hayfever, and they say possibly to penicillin (he had a reaction to amoxicillin), and he also has asthma. The allergist said there is no penicillin test at this moment, to just keep him away from penicillin to be safe. We had him tested about 4 years ago, and they said he was borderline, to be retested. But since there is no test, we were told to make sure he didn't get any penicillin.

I am allergic to those same environmentals as my son, but also to aspirin and ibuprofen ( my throat closes up, have trouble breathing, etc. if I get either).

Do any of us need medic alert bracelets for those allergies?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 pm 

I would say all of you should have them. The trouble is...if you (or your oldest child) is in an accident, and can not speak for yourself...they just might treat you with medication you are allergic to. Also, it gives medical personel the information that your son has asthma (his meds and doses on file with medic alert ) in the event of an accident.

For your daughter, my BIGGEST fear with my kids is that if they get hurt ( in a car accident and I can't speak for them) or lost, strangers will try to comfort them with food. In any tv show that shows "a lost and found" area at a mall etc. the kids are always eating junk food while they wait for their parents to come find them. I know thats just tv...but we all know that comforting kids with food is reality in this world. That is scary stuff when the kid is allergic. The medic alert would at least infrom of the food allergy...and it is also handy that your contact info is on there as well.

Personally, I don't wear one (because I never have). Mostly because the ones available when I was a kid were not cool like they are now. If I have an accident...I certainly don't want penicillan....it doesn't exactly increase my chances of survival. I do plan on getting one soon. Perhaps I'll take my own advise :oops: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:34 am 

For the small amount of money they cost (compared to what some parents spend on their kids' sneakers for example), I'd say you shouldn't do without. It's not a luxury, it's a necessity.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:06 pm 

I agree that is is very important to have one. I don't even want to think about what could happen!

During dinner last night my daughter said that a "boyfriend" :roll: in her class had told her that he is allergic to peanuts and nuts...she asked him where was his bracelet and apparantley he said that he didn't have one. She was pretty confused about this. According to her teacher out of the 4 children in her class with an allergy she is the only one with a medic alert bracelet. Which I was quite shocked.

It's also not like you would have to buy a new one every year. My daughter has had her's for 2 1/2 years now. She wears it everyday, NEVER takes it off and it is in mint condition. So it is a very good investment.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:33 pm 

Here's another thread about Medic Alert: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

I say definitely. It will speak for the child if the child can't speak for her/himself. I'd run not walk to the phone with tree nut allergy.

As an adult at risk of anaphylaxis, I got the nice silver bracelet, medium link version. Looks rather swank. A friend asked last year, "did you get that at Tiffany's?" Uh, not quite. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:31 pm 

I agree you should all be wearing medic-jewellry. There are many brands available these days. Only Medic-Alert has the 24 hour hot line available.

Not just the kids either. (Monkey see, monkey do. If you wear yours they have one less argument as to why they don't need theirs on.)

Three in my family wear the stainless steel. My oldest son prefers the copper because wearing a copper bracelet eases the pain in his knees. (Don't have any idea if doctors agree with that, and I don't care. It works for my son, myself, and my sister.)

You can also get sports bands. I don't like them because my kids always spent a lot of time in water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:18 pm 

I had mine tattoed on the inside of my right forearm. Atleast I know I'll never lose it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:36 pm 

That's actually becoming more common.

Post subject: medic alert
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:07 pm 

I have two things. I do not have a medic alert as i havnt reacted for the last 8 years anaphylacticcally. BUT. I do where a necklace and carry a card in my purse explaining my condition. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 pm 

Does the necklace say what you are allergic to? If so, it is still medical jewellry.

Paramedics tend to look for bracelets first, but they do usually check for necklaces as well.