You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:02 pm 

Hi everyone:

I'm the one with allergies, but now my partner seems to be developing an allergy to alcohol.

It's really strange, so I will describe what happens. Whenever he drinks beer or wine, he develops an itchy rash all around his eyes, ears, and sometimes his cheeks. He has no other symptoms, and so far an antihistamine has taken care of it. No itchiness in the mouth, no nausea, just the rash.

But this is the thing - we just moved out of province, and twice we've had different sets of friends come to visit. Of course, this prompts (sometimes excessive) drinking, and in these instances, he's been fine. So somehow, one or two really bother him, but several seems okay? Strange, I know.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar. He has no other allergies, wheat and gluten are fine, etc. We've tried a variety of different beers and wine, doesn't seem to be any difference for his reactions.

I would REALLY appreciate any ideas or similar stories.

Thanks!!

Lindsay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Could it be an allergy to yeast(both)? Sulfites(both)? Gluten(beer)? Eggs(wine)?
See an excerpt of an article about beer:
http://www.livingwithout.com/features/feature-beer.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am 

Hi Susan:

Thanks for getting back to me, and for the article link.

Are you suggesting it may be a combo-allergy where alcohol and gluten mixing is a no deal? Because as I mentioned, he shows absolutely zero reaction to anything else in the WORLD it seems (poor guy eh?)

Can you react to the combination of two things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:09 pm 

I googled "alcohol allergy" and a bunch of links came up, here's a few that looked interesting:

http://allergies.about.com/cs/alcohol/a/aa043001a.htm

http://www.allergycapital.com.au/Pages/alcohol.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcoho ... gy/AN00818

http://www.allergy.org.nz/allergies/aZA ... erWine.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:27 pm 

Wow - thank you so much ethansmom!

I had a look at all these articles, and one in particular (the first site) listed EXACTLY what my partner is talking about:

"Over the last 6 months, it would seem that I have developed an allergic reaction to alcoholic beverages. My symptoms are skin rashes on both my face and neck. In addition, I get itchy eyes, and on occasion, swelling inside my ears. I have been taking non-drowsy Sudafed to counter the effects of what I described above and unless I take the Sudafed at least 30-minutes before my first sip, I will break out with the rash and such."

Too bad they didn't mention any more details!!! But, I guess the answer is just avoidance, which is too bad. I'm still going to keep looking for answers though, particularly since we want to know up front the potential risks to our future children for getting allergies (so far I thought I had hit the jackpot with him! hahah).

Thanks to you both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Lin101-I'm not suggesting anything. I recalled seeing that article. I know of a person in my office who is allergic to yeast and she can't dronk beer or wine. I know that wine contains sulifites (I think beer does, too) and wines can be clairified using egg shells.
He ony reacts to alcohol? WooHoo! that's great.
Wait...what about isopropyl alcohol? I think alcohol can be in moisturisers and sunscreens and all number of lotions. Is it just beer and wine?
What a mystery.
Good luck with, ahem...everything :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb