You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:25 am 

I'm trying to build a case (in my mind) to have the in-school daycare allow my youngest to eat potato chips as a snack. Right now chips are on the "not allowed snacks" list, along with chocolate. Well, what is this kid supposed to eat, given that most allowed snacks include dairy and/or eggs?

I have started looking at the nutritional info for crackers and am finding that a lot of "allowed" crackers actually have less fibre, less protein, and more sugar that some potato chips!! Yes, chips have more fat, but I don't care about that.

Are there any dietitians on the forum who can help explain to me why chips are so evil? Especially for a child who is allergic to peanut, nuts, dairy and egg and thus has very limited choices when it comes to school snacks? Please?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:57 am 

Can they not make allowances for him?

I personnally think chips once in a while are not that bad. They now make them trans fat free and you can even buy the baked ones, they are a little more virtuous. (Are they safe for your boys? I'm not sure if they have to add ingredients to bake them.)

And you're right, a lot of crackers are not that virtuous...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 pm 

Well, that is the case that I am making - that he should be allowed to have chips (even if the other kids cannot) because his choices are so limited.

I left it with the daycare director who was supposed to get back to me last week and didn't. I will have to follow up this week.

So much effort for such a silly thing...!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:48 pm 

I'm not sure what snack you are refering to. Are we talking a daily snack time or a treat when the other kids are eating baked goods and candy?

If its a daily snack time, then they are probably promoting healthy foods like fruit. Is your son able to eat fresh fruit or are there issues with OAS as well? Is he okay with fruit to go, nonuttin granola bars, canned fruit cups, apple sauce etc.?

I think chips are not healthy because they are cooked in oil at such a high temperature that the oils used become bad for you, and the potato itself is damaged from the heat.

If its class time when the other kids are getting baking, ice cream, pizza etc. then I don't see why chips would be any worse.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Have you concidered pretzels? We buy the Presidents Choice Multi-Grain (they're alphabets) I checked a while back to ensure that they don't use an egg wash and our daughter has never reacted to them.
I'm concerned about making allowances as we do ask other parents to respect the ban so...you need to change the ban rather than become the allowance. I aso woud be concerned that if chips are given the green light, other parents send flavoured chips and who knows what is in the flavouring.
I agree with the poster to try other foods. Can he eat cantaloupe chunks, grapes, baby carrots, apple slices (sprinkled with cinammon sugar to disguise the browning), rice crackers or triscuits?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:03 pm 

Just an fyi - regarding the Pres Choice Alphabet Pretzels. I know it's not totally related to this thread but since you mentioned them - I called PC recently, these particular pretzels are made in a facility that also manufacturers nut products. (At least the ones they sell here in NS.) Wasn't a big concern for Pres Choice, as they hadn't labelled them "may contain". May be a concern for some nut-allergic people. Personally I cut them out. Kind of a bummer because I really liked them and the alphabets were fun! But I decided against them, as we have alternatives available.

I go with Lay's products now because I have read their labelling policy and find it good.

Karen what other types of snacks does he eat at home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

He does take a lot of fruit and veggies, but let's be honest, it's nice to have other options as well. And he is there for a morning snack (always fruits and veggies) and lunch and an afternoon snack, so it adds up when spread out over a week or two. (And I'm talking about regular daily snacks, not special snacks.)

Just for the sake of argument: If we're being fair to everyone, why are the other kids eating products with dairy and eggs in them? My son isn't eating any of those foods, but we are not telling the other families that they cannot send products in containing dairy and eggs. (We are asking that they limit spillable milk but have said nothing about products containing eggs and dairy.) So already things are not fair - because my son cannot eat what all the other kids are eating. Already allowances are being made. The non-allergic kids can eat whatever; the allergic kids cannot. And I accept that, obviously. I'm not asking for everyone to walk in my family's shoes, or my child's shoes. I just want him to have a few extra choices.

My son cannot have x, y, z - but other kids can. So why can't it be the opposite - other kids cannot have x, y, z - but my son can?

I don't want him to eat chips every day. I just want him to have that option.

I know that I'm maybe being a bit unreasonable, but given that my child cannot have about 90% of the food that the other kids can have, it gets up my nose to be told what I can and cannot send in. (Just ask my husband - I don't like being told what to do!! :lol: ) Especially when a lot of the stuff that IS allowed is crap. I've seen kids eating Oreos and chocolate milk for a snack. Or pudding tubes. Are chips (let's say with rice milk) - once every 2 weeks - really so much worse? Are chocolate chips mixed with soy nuts or pretzels really that bad? (Chocolate is another banned substance...)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:12 pm 

No I don't think chips are any worse than cookies or food coloring filled yogurt tubes, dunkaroos or lots of other kids junk snacks.

I think that allowing him to have chips or choc chips might make the other parents want to send it in...you must be overjoyed that milky, powdery, messy chips and chocolate which melts and gets everywhere are not allowed. I would be concerned that if he got chips that it might open a can of worms where other parents fight to bring in milk, chips/choc. and think "if she doesn't have to follow the rules, then why do we?".

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Chips with rice milk sound pretty virtuous. Doesn't sound like you're being unreasonable.

... except, now I need to go in search of chips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I understand wanting to allow your child to have one of the few treats he can eat.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 am 

Karen, do you really think this is going to be an issue? I don't see why they wouldn't allow chips occasionally in your child's case . . . maybe you could stipulate that you would send it as a snack and not as lunch. If you buy the chips without transfats, I think you could definitely make a case for the chips being more healthy than most crackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:38 am 

I think you make a very good argument, given that his list of acceptable foods is so limited. If he can only eat, let's say 10% of what other kids are eating on the daycare-accepted list, but you can increase his food options by another 10% by going outside the daycare-accepted list, I can see why you would obviously want that option.

I guess what it boils down to, and please take this with kindness, but it's the same thing we ask pb-eaters. Are some children going to suffer or become unhealthy by not eating pb every week? Is your child going to suffer or become unhealthy by not being allowed to eat chips once in a while? (And by suffer I include emotionally/feeling left out/not eating because he's bored with limited food, etc.)
If the answer to the latter is Yes, then clearly you need to fight for it.

It sucks having such limited options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm 

Don't worry, I don't take it the wrong way. I realize that chips are not the best thing in the world, and I am creating a bit of a tempest in a teapot, but it just strikes me as unfair. And I am the kind of person who rails against unfairness.

Thank you all for responding, and for helping me formulate my arguments in my head. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:03 am 

Oh yeah and I agree, chips are not always all that bad. You're right, there are so many "healthy-looking" crackers that are far worse.
Let us know what you decide and how it goes.