You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:19 am 

Hi All!

I just got home from the hospital from my SECOND anaphylaxis reaction in two months. The scary thing this time! It was from my water bottle!! I started reacting while at university eating supper and drinking water. So I took Bendadryl and my Ventlolin, which involved drinking water and told myself if i wasn't better in 20 minutes, I would take my Epi-Pen. During that time I kept drinking my water and I kept getting worse and realized that the lip of my bottle may be contaminated. Earlier, I had filled up my bottle from one of those culligan-type water things. Here's the kicker, I filled it in the staff room at the school were my Mom teaches and it was during lunch so all the staff was there. The nostle goes a bit into the bottle and my best guess is that someone who had recently eaten fish or nuts used the machine before me and either the residue got on the button and then on my hands or was on his/her cup which touched the nostle.
The doctor in the ER said I did everything right and that their really wasn't anything that I could do to prevent the reaction. He suggested in the future that I always know the source of the water I put into my bottle.
Just warning those of you who may never have thought of this otherwise ( I sure wouldn't have!) Especially with kids drinking from water fountains and such. I don't want to make anyone paranoid or anything! I just thought you all might want to know what happened.

Caroline

P.S. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm still groggy from all the meds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:57 am 
Site Admin

How scary! I'm glad you're OK.
I guess this is another reminder of how important it is to always carry an EpiPen, you just never know.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:15 am 

Glad you're OK! It must reassure you that you're able to handle the situation so well if this were to happen again (let's hope not!). I've always been suspicious of public water fountains...your story is a reminder to be vigilant about not using them...thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 am 

We have one of those culligan water things at my girls dance studio. I have seen people take a drink while eating and refill the same container afterwards. Yuck!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:16 pm 

Hi,

How scary for you! Glad you're better. Keep up the Benadryl for a couple of days to prevent the reaction from coming back.

Are you sure it wasn't something you were eating?

But I completely agree, it would be easy for someone to contaminate the spigot on a water dispenser. And I didn't even think about the water fountain at work! DUH! :x I usually let the water run a bit before I drink, but with as sensitive as I have gotten lately I should probably stop this.

Take care,
Daisy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:30 am 

I was always worried about water fountains, so I have always sent a couple of water bottles from home everyday for my son since Grade 1. The school knows that our rule is no water fountain under any circumstance because I remember as a child waiting at water fountains and young children practically suck on the nozzle. (with cold sores) ewww!! and goodness knows what they have eaten.

I believe strongly that cross-contamination is applicable through water fountains in many different ways. (Food allergies, cold sores, sickness etc...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:24 pm 

Apparently, last year a child with a peanut allergy at one of the schools in my city went into anaphylactic shock after using the drinking fountain.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:56 pm 

Wouldn't have thought of cross contamination at the water cooler . . . non allergic people would have concerns about sanitation in this situation!
I'm sorry to hear about your reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:12 am 

So I discovered the instigator on my reaction: CHALK! Yes, that's right, my only class on Thursdays is in a small classroom with only two chalkboards which my prof uses profusely. I've never been a fan of chalk, I mean it makes everyone sneeze; but when I had this class this past Tuesday, I had another small reaction and had to leave the room to take my Ventolin! That's when I realized that that's probably the main cause of my reaction. There was no doubt chalk dust all over my clothes and residue on my hands which may still have been there when I ate. Thinking back, I noticed that I ALWAYS get a headache during that class and then get really lethargic and over the past few weeks I started feeling tight in my chest and I actually used my ventolin after almost every class for the last two weeks probably.
So, my new theory is that I was reacting quite badly to the chalk when another trigger compounded the reaction. The reason that I don't think I got anaphylaxis from the chalk is that anaphylaxis didn't begin until a good hour after class had finished. . .and I know it could have been delayed, but I still think I came into contact with something else later on. Based on the fact that I started getting remarkably worse when I started drinking my water, I still believe that my water bottle was contaminated. So, long story short, wel not quite short (sorry!); I now have another environmental allergy to add to my list!

Caroline

P.S. I've started a post on chalk allergies which can be found here: don't forget to answer the poll please!
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1561

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:23 am 

Wow! I thought chalk was pretty inert. I just did some research and found that chalk is made from a mineral called calcium sulfate. Can you get tested for it, I wonder?

I can see how chalk dust could irritate your lungs. Maybe that's why so many kids have asthma?

I guess the dry erase boards are your best option. If you don't have access to a dry erase board, you could also try dustless chalk made of calcium carbonate, it might be safer.

Your theory about a compounded reaction makes sense. Your body was already sensitized to one allergen and then if you add another...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dd was playing with some chalk she got as part of an arts and crafts kit for her birthday (first time she's opened it). Within 20 minutes she had brken out in hives around her face. She's played with sidewalk chalk al summer with no reaction. After washing her down and giving Benedryl (more to ease her anxiety), she is now sleeping comfortably.
I guess you never know what their going to put into these compounds.
I will contact the company who made the kit.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:59 pm 

Sorry to hear about your reaction.

As a start point, don't change to dry erase before seeing if you react to the fumes! I discovered my asthma as it was triggered in school by chalk... but when I got to classrooms where they had dry erase, it was worst! I get instant headaches from the fumes from the markers... it is a little less with the new oder-reduced markers, but still.

I had a reaction to my water bottle last year. Turned out it was my own fault as I was going out for the day and decided to take one of those sports-type water bottle. By pulling and pushing with my hand, I ended up contaminating it real good! I always wrap my sandwiches and other foods so that I don't touch my food with my hands when I'm out and I never thought about the cap on my water bottle. :roll: Maybe you touched your food or something on your water bottle without have washed your hands properly and they got contaminated... after living for so many years with allergies, I noticed that I my own hands can be ennemies :?

(sorry about my french, but what is that culligan-type water thing???)