You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 pm 

sorry if the subject line is confusing, but I wasn't sure how to say this!

We are presently trialling dairy for ds, via breastmilk. Morning and evening, I'm eating some plain yogurt, and then we're watching and waiting to see how he does... But it's confusing! I don't want to be identifying behaviour or other things as reactions, but it's hard not to.

We have tried this with soy a couple times, and he was rashy, runny-nosed, and showing other symptoms in the first day or so. This time with dairy is less clear.

I won't ramble on too much about this, but I just wondered if there's anyone out there with experience in re-introducing allergens to their child via breastmilk.

Thanks in advance,
Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Marla- I would record anything you notice. You can always take things off the list but it's hard to remember exactly what it was if you haven't recorded it. Some symptoms can present as behaviour for example ear infections can be seen as hard to settle at night as it hurts more when they lay down.
Our daughters asthma was never really noticed until it was in full attack because we hadn't learned that the early signs in a small toddler can be clingyness, quietness, not wanting to be active "carry me" (and who hasn't heard that from a healthy toddler?) and crying.
Your special Mommy powers will let you know that something is not as it should be. If you even suspect it is a symptom, record it.
Good luck! I so hope that any symptoms truly are your child heading into the terrible two's and not an allergy. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 pm 

When I was breastfeeding my sons, I did go on an elimination diet and then add foods back in one at a time, while keeping track of any symptoms in a journal. It was really hard to assess reactions, because they also have a lot of environmental allergies as well as food allergies. So it was hard to figure out whether they were reacting to the soy I had eaten or the pollens or molds in the air or our family pet (we had a dog at the time :oops: after a negative RAST, which later proved to be completely wrong).
I don't know if environmental allergies are an issue for your son, but if they are it will be more challenging. Just write down everything, like Susan said, and you may see patterns beginning to emerge.
Also when I reintroduced egg (which they are both anaphylactic to, although we didn't know that at the time...another negative RAST!), the reaction WAS quite definitive... lots of hives, spitting up and incessant crying (poor little guys). I wasn't left in any doubt of that one.
Good luck. Writing everything down religiously really, really helps.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:42 pm 

Hiya,

I noticed a HUGE difference in my son's eczema when I eliminated allergens from my diet. He went into shock at 5months from 1.5 oz of milk based formula. Prior to that he always had a very bad rash on his face + ezcema on arms, behind knees etc. Skin tests showed that he was allergic to several foods, which I eliminated systematically. He looked like a whole new baby when I took out all his allergens out of my system. Though he was still snotty etc. (we didn't realize it at the time, but the house we were living in had a LOT of mould that bothered him) the skin issues (especially on his face) were resolved.

Like the others have mentioned, I kept a *very* detailed journal of his days (what he ate, what he looked like, what his bm's looked like etc., what his mood was, how he slept and how attentive he was, how sweet he was in spite of being uncomfortable etc.x3) and these notes came in very handy. Even things that seemed random ended up having meaning, and this made all the note-taking worthwhile.

It's neat to go back and look at his old journals, because we've come a long way on this emotional journey (but will probably be on it for a good long minute ... he's ana. to about 8 foods!)

Enjoy a beautiful day,

Supi