You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergist follow-ups
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 pm 

My daughter was diagnosed in March with her nut allergy. How often I should return to the allergist with her for "check-ups" to see if she has developed new allergies etc. I'm wondering what the rest of you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:48 pm 

When we were first diagnosed I had no idea that I was to do regular foolow ups. I assumed the allergist would contact us when we were due for something (kind of like how the dentist sends recall cards). I was wrong. We had gone a year and a half and had "fallen off" his list of patients, and had to be re-referred by my family doctor to see the allergist for new concerns. That's when I learned that we are suppost to go yearly, and if we don't, we end up needing a new referal as we are not considered regular patients anymore. We actually were just there yesterday. The allergist tends to have tests that the girls get at certain ages. Last year we did some environmental allergens on my oldest (even though she has not shown signs), this year my oldest gave blood to have her RAST done.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:16 pm 

I agree with saskmommyof2, annual visits are the norm. They usually don't check for new allergies every year unless your child is having other problems such as asthma, environmental allergies (sneezing/sniffles) or unexplained hives. My allergist is of the opinion that you don't want to give them any allergies they don't already have. :wink: (Some people may test mildly positive to something that truly doesn't cause any reactions.)

And your allergist needs to know your child. As the years go on, your allergist can be your best advocate for dealing with school issues.

Take care,
Daisy