You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:34 pm 

When you first started having allergic reactions - maybe before you were properly diagnosed - were you afraid to eat? Or, after you've had some major reactions, do you ever avoid food for fear it might happen again?

I am a regular contributor to Allergic Living Magazine (as well as a CBC Radio reporter/producer and a writer for several other magazines and newspapers), and I'm working on a story about they psychological side of food allergies - in particular the phobias that can easily (and often do) develop after major reactions.

If you would be willing to share your story, it would be very much appreciated - and would undoubtedly mean a lot to others who have had the same experience. Feel free to contact me at jve@wimsey.com.

Thanks!

Jennifer Van Evra

(btw, I'm anaphylactic to shellfish, nuts, and peanuts, and highly allergic to many other foods, so I know the feeling!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:25 pm 

I've been diagnosed with a tree-nut allergy my whole life, but oddly enough my food phobia didn't begin until about a year ago when I discovered a dish I was beginning to eat contained walnuts. Before that I had managed to avoid nuts for 20 years. Since then my phobia escalated to the point where I had lost 20 lbs in 2 months and developed an inflamed stomach because I would panic every time I put a bite of food in my mouth. I'm slowly getting over it, but I can't bring myself to eat at restaurants anymore and I will only get fast food if I have seen their lists of ingredients on the web first. This has caused a lot of tension at my mother-in-law's house because she gets insulted when I refuse to eat the food she's prepared. Her favorite food additive is anything from William sonoma and everything they make has been "processed in a plant that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, soy etc..."

That's my experience. Thanks for letting me share.