You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:51 am 
Site Admin

I think that it is important to call people on this kind of thing. The reason they don't get it is they don't have the information.
If they want to sit in their home and be ignorant, that is one thing. If they want to go on national television and spread false information or denegrate anyone else...then they have a fight on their hands! Grrrr :twisted:
Quote:
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
den‧i‧grate  /ˈdɛnɪˌgreɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[den-i-greyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object), -grat‧ed, -grat‧ing. 1. to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame: to denigrate someone's character.
2. to treat or represent as lacking in value or importance; belittle; disparage: to denigrate someone's contributions to a project.
3. to make black; blacken: rain clouds denigrating the sky.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:22 am 

Wooh, Rosie O'Donnell said that? This person who wants tolerance for gay people and wants people to accept gay marriage? You would think she of all people would understand what it's like to be discriminated against and would be more tolerant!

I hope people write her tons of letters!!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:51 am 

Well, I fired her an email! I talked about tolerance and about allergic children feeling isolated enough without having people roll their eyes in annoyance about peanut butter ban. Hopefully it will touch her children loving side....

If you also want to write to her , here is the link:

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index.html

Then, there's a link to email each member of The View.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:40 am 

Urghh!! I missed the Simpson's episode...did anyone else catch it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:29 pm 

I saw it, and I'm having mixed feelings. It is the Simpsons, so I know that it's supposed to be tongue in cheek social commentary...not to be taken seriously, but I did feel uncomfortable watching Principal Skinner being bullied with his allergen (Bart followed him around with a peanut on a stick forcing him to do all sorts of humiliating things). The thought of some kid watching that and getting the idea to bully another child with allergies makes my stomach sink. Also poor little Millhouse had an anaphylactic reaction ay the beginning of the episode (he's allergic to his own tears?!), and no one helped him, but just laughed. I hated that.
BUT on the other hand, it is the Simpsons and no one is watching it to find role models. And parts were funny, such as Bart and Skinner battling with a shrimp (Skinner discovered that Bart had a seafood allergy) and a peanut on a stick as if they were light sabres while the Star Wars soundtrack played in the background :lol: . They both ended up falling into a vat of Thai shrimp and peanut sauce, then it showed them in the hospital (so in a way showed some of the seriousness of anaphylaxis, I guess).
So I don't quite know, how I feel about the episode.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:35 pm 

Nicole wrote:
Well, I fired her an email! I talked about tolerance and about allergic children feeling isolated enough without having people roll their eyes in annoyance about peanut butter ban. Hopefully it will touch her children loving side....

If you also want to write to her , here is the link:

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index.html

Then, there's a link to email each member of The View.

Thanks for the link, Nicole. I have emailed Rosie and asked her to publicly apologize for her insensitive and ignorant comment and attitude about allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:40 am 

Twinmom - great minds. See my post at

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1432

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am 

As for Rosie... there is a US-based forum called Kids With Food Allergies and trust me, they let Rosie have it with both barrels. People on that forum were NOT impressed with her.

Perhaps Epi-Man and Epi-Man Jr. should have some kind of "darts and laurels" page. She would get a dart!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 am 

I only watch The View occasionnally. If anybody watches and she makes a public apology, please let us know. I doubt she will respond, though. I always liked her but now I'm disappointed in her for acting that way. She's a person who demands tolerance for her own lifestyle choices, which meet a lot of resistance from conservative Americans, so you would think she would be sensitive about tolerance and acceptance and compassion.

I am also surprised because she does a lot of charity work for children...I guess she doesn't like the fact that allergic children infringe on the right of her kids to eat peanut butter.... :shock: How awful of them!

Sorry, that's my rant for the day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:17 am 

I sent Rosie a letter too, asking if the View could do a segment on allergy awareness to counterbalance the negativity put out there by Rosie's thoughtless comments.
But I don't watch it on a regular basis, so if someone who does watch it could post here and let everybody know if they do address this issue, that would be great.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 pm 

A friend on mine on another forum posted this letter that she sent to The View, which I thought was awesome. Apparently she hasn't heard back though, and I didn't see any mention of an apology. Sheesh....

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Rosie,

I was hoping that your addition to the show would make it watchable for me. I was very excited to have you back on daytime television.

However, I am personally mortified by one of your comments. I had assumed you were an advocate for children, especially those less fortunate.

Your comments about peanut allergy were very insensitive.

I have held my son in my arms, and watched his face swell, his eyes glaze over, hives spreading all over his body, gasping for breath.

My son is anaphylactic not only to peanuts, but other foods too. He actually has 2 immune disorders, and wasn't able to eat food from the time he was 3 until he turned 4. He was on a special medical formula that has no intact proteins that cost $81 per day, and I had to fight a huge insurance battle to get it partially covered in order TO FEED MY SON.

He is a loving and rambunctious boy; but unfortuntely cannot touch a trace bit of peanut or else may die within seconds.

For us, a peanut is just as deadly as a gun. My son has a right to attend public school, with his safety ensured, just as all other children have a right to attend a weapon-free school.

Believe me, I understand more than anyone what a PITA avoiding foods is...I do have compassion for the other parents that now have to purchase different foods and read labels before they send snacks to school.

But I also believe in fostering a sense of community and compassion in our children. That starts with parents, including you Rosie.

I wish more than anything that there was a cure for food allergies. There is not. The only way to save our children is to absolutely avoid their allergens. I have met other parents who LOST their children at school because they were exposed to an allergen and their rescue medications were not used in time. Parents of children with food allergies have such a huge uphill battle to fight in order to keep their children safe. Not all of us can homeschool, and even if we could, we may prefer for our children to go to public school, as is our right.

I have been working diligently with other parents to help get various laws passed that will save children's lives. Including, but not limited to, getting better labelling on foods, allowing emergency responders to carry epinephrine (the only medication that can reverse anaphylaxis, the deadly allergic reaction), and for schools to have emergency action plans that adequately deal with asthma and allergies. But with all of my work, I still don't have as much influence on the attitude of our culture as you do. Literally years of our work can be erased by comments such as yours.

Please, if you would like to learn more about food alleriges or immune disorders related to food, please visit one of the following charitable organizations:

www.kidswithfoodallergies.org
www.foodallergy.org
www.apfed.org
www.foodallergyinitiative.org
www.foodallergyproject.org
www.anaphylaxis.org
www.epipen.com

--
Melanie

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! Great letter! I too, wrote to her and told her that I had heard through a national forum (this one) that she had made the comment and asked her to give a public statement. I asked that the view do a story about FAAN.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 pm 

That's an excellent letter. I really hope that Rosie addresses this issue.

It's not the first time she's caused controversy on The View however. Back in June, she made a comment about the fact that she made her partner stop breastfeeding their last child after a month because she was jealous of the fact that she wasn't getting in on the bonding!!! :shock: Joy asked her if she didn't think that this was causing a disservice to the child and she said no! The fact that her partner agreed to that shows you "who wears the pants" in that relationship! :lol: :lol: (Sorry, it's just a little joke.)

This was said after 200 moms had a nurse-in outside ABC to protest something Barbara Walters had said about breastfeeding, I believe. They were discussing the nurse-in when Rosie said something to the effect that they're just a bunch ofl "hormonal women" anyway!" :shock:

I think she's purely ignorant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:39 pm 

There's a scene in the movie Space Chimps that perpetuates the stereotype that geeks/nerds have allergies. One of the scientists mentions a Snickers bar and the other geeky scientist states that he's allergic to peanuts. No one in the audience thought it was funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:18 am 

I watched an episode of Californication and one of the characters, Lew Ashby, has a mysterious reaction at a dinner party. Turns out it's an allergic reaction to the sushi that was served. It seems although he didn't eat it, his girlfriend had the sashimi and kissed him. I found his reaction and subsequent recovery was not realistic. All of a sudden we see him on the floor, having a seizure with his mouth foaming. Didn't look at all like an allergic reaction at all. His friends gather around him and he mumbles "pen". One of the friends had no idea and stabs his leg with a real pen. The main character (Hank) finds the Epipen in Lew's jean pocket and injects him with it. In seconds, Lew is perfectly fine, gets up, gently scolds his girlfriend for kissing him after having eaten sashimi, makes some small talk at the door and leaves to enjoy the rest of the evening with his friends. Yeah right....

The only positive side of it is that it raised awareness that the Epipen is needed and should always be carried. But contrary to what is depicted in the show, it's not a magic cure.

The irony is that later on in the series, Lew dies of a drug overdose. He has a similar seizure (although he doesn't foam at the mouth) and Hank injects him with the Epipen but it does nothing and Lew dies.

I couldn't find the allergic reaction scene on You Tube but found the overdose scene where Hank uses the Epipen.

WARNING: THIS IS AN ADULT SHOW SO DON'T WATCH THE SCENE BELOW WITH CHILDREN PRESENT OR IF ADULT LANGUAGE AND CONTENT OFFEND YOU.

You can forward to the overdose scene at 3:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnD4GOMskiY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next