You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:06 am 

My son has started competitive swimming this year. At his first swim meet, he was worried that lots of other swimmers were eating peanut-based products and then going to swim.
Those kids obviously didnt brush their teeth before entering the water.

So is it just my motherly concern, or should we worry about the allergen in the water? It's a big pool, small quantity of allergen. What are the risks?

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:58 pm 

You could request to the pool manager that they make the facility peanut/nut free. There's really no need for the kids to eat peanutty snacks.

As for the water, I wonder if the chlorine would eliminate the allergen?

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 am 

Sounds like a good question to send to the Ask the Allergist column!

Contact info is available at http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?feature=73 - it says:

Quote:
Ask the Allergists is a regular feature of Allergic Living magazine. If you would like to submit a question, write to editor@allergicliving.com . Please write "Ask the Allergists" in the subject field, keep your question brief and include an e-mail and daytime phone number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:18 pm 

My oldest daughter starts another set of swimming lessons today...and yes, that concerncs me too. I was pleased to see a sign up at the pool "no food allowed in the change rooms, and pool area". Infortunately at our last set of lessons, I saw NUMEROUS parents giving their kids nut filled granola bars and other foods in that very change room prior to going in the pool ( within view of the signage). I would also like an allergist to address the question, and in relation to all allergens as well. It would be nice to make every place peanut free, but that does not help one bit for those of us who deal with milk, eggs and others.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:49 pm 

I know, saskmommyof2, it is a concern for every food allergies, not just peanut/nut allergies. I for one, am personally tired of people who have to have their Timmies with them wherever they go. It's like a permanent fixture. (In my opinion, that's the biggest source of pollution, all the cardboard cups on the streets and the gas people spend to go to coffee shops to get their fix, several times a day in some cases. Not to mention coffee, and therefore dairy, spillage. But I digress on this personal rant! :lol:)

People are so busy and rushing around so much, it seems they don't take the time to have meals at home and therefore are feeding their kids snacks on the go everywhere they are. My daughter carpools with a friend to go to dance. I drive them there and they drive her back, but recently, her friend was eating a Reese's peanut butter cup in the car and she could see peanuts on the ground. She came home that time and was sick, throwing up. I think she was more anxious than anything else, but since they're always eating peanuts and nuts in the van, I told my daughter that I don't mind driving her friend there but that I would pick her up from now on.

So I'm not surprised by the fact that people generally disregard the "NO FOOD AND DRINKS ALLOWED" signs. I saw a woman eating a Tim Horton's bagel withcream cheese in the waiting room at my doctor's office, in spite of the sign. :roll:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:32 pm 

In the particular case that worried my son (and me), it's not something so easily 'fixed' (hahum!) by going peanut free.
The swim meets can be held in any pool during the season. (there are 12 possibilities for beginners, but as you progress, it becomes provincial, then national, then.. you get it...) So this is not like a swimming lesson where I can choose to go to a peanut-free pool if such a beast exists.

Then it's not a question of kids being fed en route. Those kids will spend the day at the competition. They *have* to eat at some point. Even though there's a no food policy in the lockers and around the pool, you still get kids getting a quick bite before they swim, to keep up their energy level. Since the team has to stay together, my son is therefore exposed to what the others are eating.

Regular swimming lessons fell within our comfort levels, this new situation, I'm not sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:25 pm 

What ever happened to waiting an hour after eating before swimming?

When my son was a pool manager he was pretty strict about *no food*. Not because of allergies, but because of the mess, and the fact that what's on deck tends to end up in the pool.

I don't think clorine would *kill* an allergen. It kills germs, but protein is not a germ. However, I also don't think in the pool it is a risk. As the original poster pointed out -- big pool, little allergen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 pm 

We're not talking an hour before swimming (as an aside, I was always told 30 minutes) We're talking all day long waiting, with nothing to do but eat time of snacking... sigh.. But at least they swim, they're in shape.

The eating is outside of the pool deck, in the waiting area.