Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Cold Urticaria
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:28 pm 

little_black_dress wrote:
Well after a very enjoyable outdoor concert at City Hall last night, I got back in the car with my family and became a bit itchy as my legs began to return to regular room temp.
This is not that abnormal for me however I became a little concerned and lifted my pant leg up to my knee. Well my knee was covered in hive like bumps and was a purpulish colour. My boyfriend and brother played it down and told me to just drive.

Anyhow, as the rest of me began to warm up I got itchier and itchier. I attempted to let it
slide because in the last six months I have been having many allergic that sometimes I just feel like "this is all a bad dream and I am going to wake up and go back to living my life as I did this time last year."

Once we got home an hour and a half later I figured I should at least look at my itchy legs.

Well...what had been bumps earlier had become continents of hives running down from my waist to my kness with a bit on my feet.

So I have looked it up and found that it is most likely Cold Urticaria. My question for all of you is, do you have this or anyone else you know? I live in Southern Ontarion and although it's not Nunavut it's only going to get colder in the next few months. How do I deal with this until I can see my new allergist in January? Can I get it on my face?

I woke up this morning...12hrs later....and still had some hives however most had died down. I had chest pains and dizziness with this as well. My blood pressure also dropped a bit. I didn't go to the hospital I just took some Benadryll and did my best to wait it out. I have been feeling sore today and dopey.

If anyone has been through this or is dealing with any advice would be MOST appreciated it. This is just another allergy I've had to add to my list and I am finding this a very very stressful time. I am 21 and had a few allergies in the past but something has set my system off and it appears to be only getting more complicated.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/urticaria.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:51 pm 

I so glad i found this forum!
Iv been having out breaks of this reaction for 2 years now my doctor has not diagnosed it. When ever i have said to anyone i think im allergic to the cold iv been laughed at!!
I have had minor and major reactions, one resulting with me collapsing and ending up in hospital,

does any one find taking an antihistamine daily helps? living in Scotland does not help this altho i think asking the goverment to re-locate me is out of the question!

Post subject: Cold Urticaria
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 am 

Hello Gary and little black dress, and any others:
I too have Cold Urticaria. My husband figured it out by searching the web. I'm 54 years old, live in Southern California, and have been noticing itching red skin on contact with cold air (like in the early morning) for about 4 years. It was never that bothersome, but about 3 years ago, after swimming in the ocean, I came out covered in red puffy bumps. Everyone thought it must be something in the water, and I took a benedryl and was better in about half an hour. After that episode, my husband figured it out. I have just coincidentally stayed out of cold water til this summer. Even though my skin swells red and itches if I wade in the ocean, or if I ice my joints, I never thought much of it, since this kind of swelling is so minor and goes away rather quickly. BUT!! Two weeks ago on vacation in Idaho, I swam in a VERY cold shallow river with friends, having a BLAST, and I did notice I was swelling and itching. I decided to ignore it, figuring it would go away soon enough. I stayed in the water fully submerged for about 15 minutes, when I felt I was going to faint. I totally went into anaphylactic distress, but never lost consciousness. I had to lie down on the ground and told everyone I was quickly feeling worse, and maybe should call 911. Fortunately, my friends brought me inside a cabin and I warmed up. Everyone thought I was having heat exhaustion. I knew better, but it is so hard to explain! After that episode I re-read the many articles and posts on the web about it, and realized I hadn't taken it quite seriously enough!!!

All I can say is DON'T submerge yourself in cold water!!!
I'd be happy to talk to anyone else about this. Everything I have read has been on the web. I haven't even tried to talk to my MD about it.
All the best to y'all, Michele