You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 pm 

Hi guys -

This is actually for me, for a change. I have an outbreak of eczema on my eyelids that's driving me a bit batty. The skin is very itchy and dry (sometimes to the point of flaking off) if I don't treat it. I've been trying OTC hydrocortisone (0.05%) and vaseline, but it's not really clearing up. And I hesitate to use the hydrocortisone too much because of the risk of thinning the skin. The skin there is thin enough already!!

Any other ideas? I do plan to see my doc to get a referral to a dermotologist, but in the meantime... I'd be interested in hearing good at-home treatment ideas. I don't think I have any of my youngest's prescription eczema creams any more - they all expired.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Ouch! No cream suggestions here, I hope others can help you but be sure to wear a hat or sunglasses when in the sun.
I hope it clears up soon.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 pm 

It's not that bad... more annoying than anything (but thanks for the sympathy).

I always wear a hat and sunglasses - I find sun in my eyes more annoying than anything! Hopefully when I'm 70 that'll all pay off. ;)

Anyway, must make that doc appt...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:11 am 

Hi Karen,

I hope everything is goign well with you, sorry about your eyes. Same thing happened to me and I went to a Chinese Dr. who cured it. I actually got it for my finger but it helped my eyelids too. It is a very mentholly cream, so it burned a bit, but it really fixed it. I know this doesn't really help you as you can't fly here, but I am due to see him again so I will try to find out if it is available without Rx, or if it has a name you could tell another Chinese Dr. I also use a lot of Allergy Eyes eyedrops as my eyes still react strongly to environmental stuff, but the exzema (which was making me CRAZY-crazier?) almost never comes back. It also cured my son's acne...It's quite amazing. I had the worst eczema (in very embarrassing places) for years and it is all gone now - if it wasn't I am sure I would be trying to type this in a straight jacket.... that itching can make you insane!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:32 am 

i hope you can find out what that cream is from your dr.---i'd be interested in trying it for acne. i've started reacting to the topical acne medication my dermatologist prescribed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:26 am 

I know this is an old topic, but I just joined, so...

I had this too and my derm finally suggested that I might be reacting to the preservative in the hydrocortisone cream. He switched me to an ointment and it cleared it up. But, the ointment does not work on my finger or arm when I get eczema there. Only on the eye :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:13 pm 

Interestingly enough, I just went to see a dermatologist, mainly because I wanted to make sure that the products I am using are doing me good and not harm - including hydrocortisone on my eyelids.

She said to use Protopic on my face. When I asked what she thought about the Health Canada warning, she said that maybe if I were a rat that had been force-fed Protopic for 40 years I'd be at risk, but for the amount I'd be using externally, I should be okay...

So that's what I'll be using on my eyelids.

She gave me some other instructions and ideas for products that I will share as soon as I can find the ding-dong paper that she wrote it down on.

K.